120| Everybody Loves Stuart

Zoey was currently standing by her seat in class. The coolest teacher in the school, Stuart was teaching English. He jokes around with his students which what other teachers never did.

"I believe a person is responsible for her own destiny and can be anything she wants, if she wants it bad enough and she never, ever gives up." Zoey finished her argument.

Stuart opened his arms to gesture in her direction. "Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Zoey Francis, the next President of the United States."

Everyone clapped for her speech.

"Uh, everybody, that makes me the first best friend." Cory said, chuckling lightly.

"Now come on Zoey, do you really believe in all that Little Mary Sunshine stuff?" Stuart asked.

Zoey nodded. "Yes, I do."

"So do I... to a point." Stuart said, giving her a smile before clapping his hands together. "Shawn!"

"Stuart!" Shawn called back.

"Nice haircut." Stuart commented.

"Thanks, eight bucks." Shawn said with a smile.

"Looks like it." Stuart replied. "Now, Zoey just spouted a philosophical belief. What is it?"

"Free will." Shawn answered.

Stuart chuckled. "Hey, he's a big deal with the new hair."

"She's in charge of her own actions and therefore creates her own destiny." Shawn added.

"God hair and good answer. You believe her?" Stuart asked.

"In my experience, you don't bet against Zoey or you'll get your butt kicked." Shawn replied truthfully, giving her a faint smile.

"I don't doubt it." Stuart agreed with a smile before he turned to Cory. "Now, how about it, Cory? You buy what Zoey is saying?"

Cory nodded. "Yeah, I do. I think you have to have at least some control over things that happen to you even if it's not complete."

"Really?" Stuart questioned. "Cory Matthews wakes up one morning. He kisses his lovely wife. He leaves his nice suburban home and then get hit by a bus."

"I'll miss you, buddy!" Shawn called out.

Cory shook his head. "No, I don't get hit by a bus."

"Why not?" Stuart wondered.

"Because I use the cross walks, I memorize the bus schedules and if I got a wife like Topanga, I ain't leaving the house!" Cory answered.

"Bus hits you anyways. Now, what's that called?" Stuart asked the class.

"Fate." Angela answered. "It doesn't matter if stay in or go out, your life is predestined, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"So you mean the bus is going to drive right through my house to get to me?" Cory asked.

Angela nodded. "Yes, it is."

"I'll miss you, buddy!" Shawn called out again.

"Alright, guys, we got to get out of here." Stuart said as they approached the end of the lecture. "Now, uh, I read your papers and most of them were bad. This isn't high school anymore. Free your minds." He held up their assignments. "You're smarter than these."

••••

After classes, everyone was gathered in the Student Union around the pool table. Zoey pulled up a seat next to Topanga and watched boredly as Angela went up against Stuart. They went for several rounds and the older man continued to preform poorly.