86| Quiz Show

Zoey was sitting beside Topanga in two of the four seats on the stage of High School Quiz Show. The producers and stage crew were busy setting up for the episode while Mr. Feeny spoke to one of the managers.

"What do you mean, forfeit?" Mr. Feeny questioned. "My team doesn't know the meaning of the word forfeit."

"Look, High School Quiz Show has been on the air for thirty-six years. We are an institution. We've always had four players per team and we're not about to change that now." The blonde manager explained.

"But the bus broke down. It's not their fault that the bus broke down." Mr. Feeny protested.

"Well, then how did they get there if the bus broke down?" The manager wondered.

"Well, they were driven over by..." Mr. Feeny trailed off, turning to look at the two girls who were suddenly joined by Shawn and Cory.

"Hey, Mr. Feeny." Cory greeted, waving.

"Look, we're smart!" Shawn added cheerfully.

Mr. Feeny turned back to the manager. "Okay, we forfeit."

The manager ignored him and approached the teenagers. "Boys, where do you go to school?"

"Forfeit!" Mr. Feeny exclaimed desperately. "I said we forfeit!"

"We go to, um...." Shawn trailed off. He nudged his best friend. "Hey, Cory, who's that guy?"

"What, the head in the hallway?" Cory wondered.

Shawn nodded. "Yeah."

"That's John Adam's head." Cory told him.

"We go to John Adamshead High School." Shawn announced.

"Which is why we forfeit, you see." Mr. Feeny whispered to the manager.

"Let's get them into makeup." The manager decided.

••••

"And now, back to High School Quiz Show with your host, Arthur Kandib." The announcer, Mr. Prong spoke into the mic.

Arthur Kandib stood in front of the scoreboard with a stack of cards in his hands. "Thank you, Mr. Pong. Alright, teams, for one point: 'The region known as the fertile crescent lies between which two rivers'?" Zoey and Topanga quickly hit their buzzers. "Yes, Miss Francis from John Adams."

"He said fertile." Shawn snickered.

"Uh, he answer is the Tigris and the Euphrates." Zoey answered.

"Yeah, nice try, Zoey." Cory mocked.

"That is correct." Mr. Kandib announced.

"Alright!" Cory cheered.

Shawn stood up and pointed at the opposing team. "You suck!"

Mr. Kandib looked straight into the camera. "And with the score: Hamilton High 20, John Adams High 3-"

"We will not be denied!" Shaw called out which caused the audience to respond enthusiastically.

"We mercifully take a break for these few kind words from our good sponsor at the World of Knowledge." Mr. Kandib finished.

"And we're off." Mr. Prong grumbled into the mi.

"John Adams rocks!" An audience member cheered.

"Thirty seconds." Mr. Prong announced.

Topanga turned to the boys. "Okay, look, we have worked very hard to be on this team. You two just happen to be here..."