136| Show Me The Love

On Zoey's first day back at school, her and Topanga were unpacking their own belongings. During the summer, Zoey spent most of her time at home, helping out with her little brother.

"Have you seen Cor, yet?" Zoey asked.

Topanga shook her head. "Not yet."

"Let's go." Zoey insisted.

The two girls walked out of their room and crossed the hall to see that the boys' door was also open.

"Hey, Cory." Topanga greeted.

Cory stood with an excited scream. before hugging her. "I don't believe it! Topanga, honey, I missed you so much!"

Zoey watched them with a faint smile as Cory released Topanga form the embrace.

"Hey, Shawnie." Zoey greeted.

Shawn gave her a soft look. "Hey, Zo."

"My parent's officially filed for divorce this morning." Topanga announced quietly.

"That's bad. That's not good. I don't know what to say." Cory responded.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything." Topanga told him. She walked further into the dorm room. "Hi, Shawn."

"I'm sorry, Topanga." Shawn said sincerely.

"I'm sorry, too. I've just accepted that my parents aren't going to spend the rest of their lives together." Topanga said with a small frown.

"Well, it's, uh.... It's important to face reality and I'm glad you're okay. Now we can get back to planning our wedding." Cory said which caused the room to go silence. He looked between the three of them. "Now we can get back to planning our wedding." Silence once more. He sighed. "Here we go."

"Cory, I've had nothing but time to think about this. I just don't want to get married anymore." Topanga explained.

"Even though we love each other?" Cory questioned.

"So did my parents." Topanga said.

"Topanga, I need to talk to you." Cory insisted, pulling her over to the side of the room.

That left Shawn and Zoey alone.

"So... uh... good summer?" Zoey asked, her face falling down to her feet.

"Yeah, pretty good. Did you, um.... think about what I asked you before the end of the school year?" Shawn wondered.

"I'm putting quotes around the word 'love' because I don't think 'love' exists!" Topanga exclaimed before Zoey could reply.

"Of course love exists. That's the craziest thing I've ever 'heard'!" Cory responded, raising his voice in exasperation.

"You don't think love exists?" Zoey asked Topanga.

"Don't listen to her." Shawn demanded, standing from the bed to block her view of Topanga. "Your hair looks so good."

"If love exists why do people hurt each other all the time?" Topanga wondered.

Zoey had to admit that Topanga had a point; exhibit A being Shawn who currently stood in front of her. He's said he loved her over and over again but that hadn't stopped him from breaking up with her because he'd wanted to.

"Why do they?" Zoey muttered.

"They don't!" Shawn said quickly. "She's just saying that because your hair looks better than hers."

"Topanga, I wouldn't hurt you." Cory promised her.

"You say that now." Topanga said.

"I would never hurt you." Cory told her.