36| I Am Not A Crook

At school, Shawn and Zoey were standing in the middle of the hall, reading off activities for Cory to try out.

"Football?" Shawn suggested.

"No, no. Pain. Cleats on face." Cory answered.

"Modern dance?" Zoey wondered.

Cory shook his head. "No. Lotta girls. Tights. no."

"Drama club?" Shawn asked.

"No. Lotta guys. Tights. No." Cory responded.

"That's the list, Cor." Zoey said, passing the piece of paper that had the activities to Cory.

"None of these are me, guys." Cory stated, looking at the list. "I mean, here I am, going into my eighth year of public education, and who am I, really?"

"You're you. You're Cory Matthews." Zoey responded and Shawn nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, but there's no Cory Matthews club on here, there's no club for ordinary guys who doesn't know who they are and aren't great at anything." Cory complained.

"So start one." Shawn suggested.

Cory sighed in defeat. "Oh, I probably wouldn't get in."

The school bell rung.

"Cory, come on, you got a lot of good qualities. Hey, you're honest, loyal and decent." Zoey pointed out.

"Housebroken, too. I'm a stinkin' beagle." Cory said with a frown.

Zoey pattered Cory's shoulder before the three walked into the English classroom, where Mr. Turner sat on his desk. Zoey smiled to herself as she sat down at her desk.

"All right, people, this just off the wire. Elections for the next year's eighth-grade class president will be held next week." Mr. Turner announced to the class.

"Who cares?" Cory questioned, fake sneezing into his hands.

"Detention!" Mr. Turner said as if coughing.

"Sorry!" Cory apologized into his hands.

"Too many people whine and moan about the way things run around here." Mr. Turner began, walking around the classroom. "Well, this is a chance to change things by getting involved. But remember, this is a student election..."

"It's not a popularity contest." Zoey and the rest of the class repeated back to Mr. Turner's previous words for last week.

"You know, I think we've been spending a little too much time together." Mr. Turner said. "The point is, your class president doesn't need to be quarterback or a cheerleader. You'll be much better off with someone who's honest, loyal and decent."

Zoey quickly turned her head to her friend. "Cory, that's you."

"What?" He asked.

"You wanted to know who you were. You could be president." Zoey said.

Cory scoffed. "Come on."

"All right, let's have have some nominations." Mr. Turner called.

"I got somebody good. I nominate me." Meese spoke up and Zoey rolled her eyes at the kid.

"Your humility is impressive, Meese, but someone else has to nominate you." Mr. Turner explained.

"Topanga, how about it?" Meese asked.

"No, go away, and don't look at me." Topanga quickly responded.

"Come on, Meese here has the guts to run. Someone should have the guts to nominate him." Mr. Turner said.