19| Kid Gloves

During School, Zoey was currently sitting at her desk, while Mr. Feeny was informing the class about the extracurricular actives.

"'The following is a list of exciting extracurricular activities offered to you, the student... by your Philadelphia Board of Education'." Mr. Feeny said, reading out a letter. "'Each student shall select one exciting activity - Vocabulary Club..."

"Too exciting." Shawn stated in a monotone.

"Mr. Matthews, please." Mr. Feeny said, telling him to be quiet.

"It wasn't me, it was Shawn." Cory said.

"Same thing." Mr. Feeny said, before he turned back to the letter. "All right, 'Debate Team... Scuba Club... Upholstery Squad."

"Scuba Club?" Cory asked, smiling.

"Underwater adventures." Shawn said as he smirked.

A wide smile spread across Zoey's lips. "I'm in."

"Us, too." Shawn said, gesturing to himself and Cory.

"Well, I for one plan to stimulate my intellect and will therefore choose between the Vocabulary Club and the Debate Team." Minkus said.

"I would enjoy communing with the creatures of the sea." Topanga spoke. "I choose Scuba."

"Slap me into a wetsuit and throw me overboard." Minkis said, quickly. The brunette gave the nerd a weird look.

"Can anyone tell me what the acronym Scuba is?" Mr. Feeny asked the class. No one responded. "Mr. Matthews?"

"Duba?" Cory guessed.

Mr. Feeny paused for a moment. "Scuba Duba? Mr. Matthews, I have obviously failed you on so many levels." He said, before pacing around the classroom. "An acronym is a pronounceable formation made by a combination of letters."

Cory turned around and glanced between Shawn and Zoey. "I told you two."

"So, now, can anyone tell me what Scuba stands for?" Mr. Feeny asked the class. "Come on, someone take a stab at it." He approached Shawn's desk. "Mr. Hunter, you haven't spoken since the fourth grade. S-c-u-b-a. What does it stand for?"

Shawn paused for a moment, thinking. Zoey couldn't help but snicker, knowing that his answer was going to be completely wrong.

"Something's... creepy... under... boat... Andy." Shawn said. Zoey covered her mouth with her hand, chuckling softly.

"Mr. Matthews was closer with Duba." Mr. Feeny muttered as he walked to the front of the class. "Very well, take it away Minkus."

"No." Minkus rejected.

Mr. Feeny was surprised. "I beg your pardon?"

"I don't want to know everything." Minkus stated. "I want to fit in. I want to be one of the normal stupid guys. I'm going with Duba."

"All right. Mr. Minkus obviously does not know." Mr. Feeny said.

Zoey looked over towards Minkus and saw him tapping his nails repeatedly on the table, looking as if he was going to explode.

Minkus sighed in defeat. "Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus."

Mr. Feeny smiled. "Thank you."

"I hate myself." Minkus muttered.

"You're not alone." Shawn told him, and Zoey nodded in agreement.

••••

Today was Cory's birthday. Zoey had recently given him some rare baseball cards that Cory had always wanted.

When she gave the present to Cory, he was ecstatic.