115| Her Answer: Part 2

After leaving The Matthews' that night, Zoey and Shawn walked back to the apartment where they met the new roommate, Rachael McGuire. After she broke up with her boyfriend, Jack and Eric insisted on having her in the apartment since Shawn and Zoey were moving out for college.

Several hours later, Zoey founded herself walking up the Matthews' yard to enter the home through the kitchen door. Though she'd half expected it, she was still surprised to see all of the lights on and Shawn, Eric, Mr and Mrs. Matthews gathered in the kitchen.

Zoey opened the door and walked inside. "Hello everyone."

"Zoey, what are you doing?" Mrs. Matthews wondered.

"Same as all of you." Zoey replied. "Can I crash on you guy's couch? I don't want to be up this late with all the creeps and weirdos.

"How you doing?" Mr. Feeny asked as he walked through the kitchen door.

"Hi George." Mr. Matthews greeted.

Mr. Feeny walked over to the fridge, opened it and took out two juice boxes. "I couldn't sleep."

"Why not?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Well, you got all the lights on. Everybody's yelling and Eric parked his car in my garden." Mr. Feeny explained as he handed one of the juice boxes to Zoey.

"So?" Eric questioned, standing up from the table. "What the hell do you care? You're moving. Go ahead, Feeny. Retire. Take care of yourself, that's what you're best at."

"The man has given the last forty years of his life teaching people." Mrs. Matthews pointed out.

"Don't care." Eric simply said. "Kill his flowers. Kill them."

Mr. Feeny patted Eric on the shoulder. "Eric, when someone you care for makes a considered decision to change his life, then those who do care should offer support and respect is decision."

"Oh, Feeny, you had me at 'Eric', man. Come here." Eric urged, pulling Mr. Feeny into a one-sided hug.

"You're right, George. We should accept what they've done and do something to show our support. I mean, after all, we're talking about Cory and Topanga here." Mr. Matthews said.

"Cory and Topanga?" Mr. Feeny repeated in confusion. "I was talking about a going away part for me."

"Going away? You're still going away? Oh for the love of Mike, stop with the mind games, man!" Eric exclaimed dramatically.

Mr. Feeny grabbed Eric by the arm. "You know, this is the reason I can't sell my house."

••••

In the morning, the group had taken Mr. Feeny's advice and quickly arranged a last-minute celebration in the living room for Cory and Topanga upon their return.

When they heard the kitchen door opened, they all walked into the kitchen cheering loudly when they saw Cory and Topanga.

"Congratulations." Mrs. Matthews said as she hugged her youngest son. "It's really great."

"I always felt like you were a sister to me. Now you really are." Morgan told Topanga before hugging her.

Eric walked into the room and offered his brother a bowl of orange puffs. "Cor, you gotta try these cheese balls, man. They're, like, insane. They're so good."

Cory ignored him and approached Shawn and Zoey.

"You guys look exactly the same." Zoey said.

Shawn passed some orange juice to his best friend. "What'd I tell you, Cor? You were always married. It doesn't take a piece of paper to change what always was."

"Guys, I gotta tell you something." Cory whispered.

Mr. Matthews gained everyone's attention when he clinked his glass. "Okay, everybody, listen up, please. I just want to say that I am the luckiest man in the world. I have on beautiful wife, a lovely daughter and one wonderful son!"

"Hey!" Eric shouted.

"Hey!" Mr. Matthews retorted before he approached Topanga. "And now I have another lovely daughter." He gently kissed her cheek before raising his glass. "To Cory and Topanga, all the best. We love you."

"Cory and Topanga!" Everyone cheered.

"Well, well, well...." Mr. Feeny began.

Cory sighed. "Mr. Feeny, before-"

"No, no." Mr. Feeny interrupted. "It's my turn, Mr. Matthews. You have done quite enough tonight, now haven't you?" He paused while everyone let out a small chuckle. "For forty years, I have taught young men and women. I have seen countless lovestruck children but I have never seen the love, loyalty and fun that I have seen in you two." Shawn loudly coughed. "Yes. I suppose you two can be included in that as well." He raised his glass. "My friends, my dears, Cory and Topanga."

Finally, Mrs. Matthews stepped forward to stand in front of the couple.

"Well, it's the mother's turn and I do want to say something. I have watched these two grow up. Boy, have I. And here they are now, adults, just fresh out of high school, don't know anything about the world at all..." Mrs. Matthews trailed off, staring at the couple before turning to look at her husband. "I'm sorry. I can't do this. This was a mistake and I do not support it." She returned her attention to Topanga. "Why couldn't you have just gone to Yale?"

Zoey's eyes widened at Mrs. Matthew's words and her hand instinctively tightened around her boyfriend's.

Everyone in the room went silent.

"Here here!" Eric cheered.

Topanga stared at Mrs. Matthews with a hurt expression. "I should go."

"No. Topanga, you're not leaving our wedding reception." Cory said sharply.

"I'm sorry for any pain I've caused." Topanga apologized quietly before she turned and walked out through the back door, leaving the house.

"Topanga, wait..." Cory called before he stopped and turned to his mother. "How could you say that to her?"

"I'm sorry." Mrs. Matthews muttered.

"You're sorry?" Cory snapped incredulously as his voice rose with anger. "So for fifteen years you've been lying to me?"

Mrs. Matthews shook her head. "No."

"No, you've been lying to me about how you feel about us and you've been lying to me about how you feel about her!" Cory shouted furiously.

"I want what I believe is best for you, Cory, and Topanga." His mother explained.

"What's best for us, Mum, is for you to trust us!" Cory yelled furiously. "I love her, alright?! I was always love her. And you know something else? We didn't get married because she wanted you to be there!"

Zoey frowned as she watched Cory marched out of the house, following after his fiancée.

••••

Eventually, things settled down as they always did. Mrs. Matthews and Topanga resolved their differences and Topanga received her soon-to-be-mother-in-law's ring as her official engagement ring.

Everyone was now in the Matthews' kitchen, celebrating Mr. Feeny's retirement.

"So, have a great time in Jackson Hole. Here's to your retirement, George." Mr. Matthews finished his speech.

"Here! Here!" Everyone cheered, raising their glasses.

"Thank you, Alan. I'll miss you all." Mr. Feeny said gratefully.

"Well, I guess it's time for Feeny's favourite student to make a speech, huh?" Eric questioned as approached Mr. Feeny. "For forty years, I have watched you educate young men and women. Boy have I. I'm sorry. I can't do this. This is a mistake, and I do not support it!" He turned his attention to Topanga. "Why couldn't you have just gone to Yale?"

Eric then marched out through the back door and without hesitation, Mr. Matthews rushed up to the door and quickly locked it.

_____________________
PUBLISHED: November 4, 2018
WORDS: 1238