33| The Beard

"So what's Hamlet supposed to do?" Mr. Turner asked the class as he sat on his desk. Zoey was sitting sat at her desk, simply writing notes in her book while Mr. Turner was teaching. "His uncle offed his father, his mother's sleeping with his uncle, his girlfriend is completely schizoid, and people are dropping left and right."

"Sounds like Thanksgiving at my house." Shawn commented, and Zoey snickered.

"So Hamlet is faced with a terrible dilemma, and he freezes like a bunny in the high beams." Mr. Turner continued.

Zoey then noticed from the corner of her eyes, Linda - a pretty blonde - passing a note over to Cory.

"For me?" Cory asked.

"Shawn." Linda whispered.

"Oh, yeah, right." Cory muttered. "See, when you looked at me, I naturally..."

"Just pass it." Linda hissed. Cory frowned and passed Shawn the note.

••••

In History class, Zoey sat at the desk beside Shawn. She was currently writing down what was on the blackboard while Mr. Feeny was teaching.

"October, 1962. Young President Kennedy is faced with a seemingly impossible dilemma." Mr. Feeny informed the class. "Mr. Hunter, what were his options?"

"Marilyn Monroe or his wife?" Shawn guessed.

Zoey sighed and turned to him. "I think it's better if you stop talking, Shawn."

"You never disappoint, Mr. Hunter." Mr. Feeny said.

Shawn smiled. "Thank you."

"Cory." A voice called. Zoey looked over to see a pretty brunette, Stacy, passing a note to Cory.

"Ah, a note for me." Cory said with a wide smile. "See, Shawn, you're not the only one..."

"Past it to Shawn." Stacy whispered.

Cory crumpled the paper and passed it to Shawn. "Do I have an unlisted desk or something?"

"No idea." Zoey muttered.

••••

At lunch, Shawn, Cory and Zoey were walking to the cafeteria while Shawn was complaining which girl to go out with. Linda or Stacy.

Zoey hated this topic because she liked Shawn. But in her mind a crush is nothing more than a lust for someone. That doesn't change anything in her eyes. Shawn is still always there in her mind. Everyday when she sees him, that is it. She thinks about him for the entire day. When their eyes lock, his eyes burn hers like she's been staring at the sun for too long. He is her crush, but he will never be hers.

"Stacy, Linda. Linda, Stacy." Shawn said as the three sat down at a table. "I've never been so depressed in my whole life."

"Aww, poor Shawn." Zoey teased as she pouted her lips.

"I know. Two beautiful girls both want you, poor guy." Cory said, shaking his head. "There's gotta be a hot line you can call. Of course, with your luck, a girl would answer and she'd want you."

"If I reject Lina, she's get upset, and there is no way I would ever want to see a pout on those beautiful full lips." Shawn said. Zoey rolled her eyes and ate her sandwich. "Actually, it looks pretty good."

"Where do you see that?" Zoey questioned, raising her eyebrows at him.

"But-But what if I reject Stacy and she flips out, gets a sex-change operation and comes back as a really angry man seeking her revenge?" Shawn asked, his expression slightly worried. Zoey dropped her lunch and gave him a pointed look. "Hey, I've seen it happen."