Marco X Reader. The last of us.

-AN-
I got this last night on the very verge of sleep. It was kinda annoying cause I had to wake myself up a bit, turn on my phone, write a reminder so I didn't forget the plot, and try and fall asleep again. XD.

The Moby Dick would never be the same again. People could return to their normal, happy-go-lucky selves, but without the presence of Ace or Pops, nothing would be the same. And apparently, only you and Marco noticed this.

Which unfortunately meant neither of you tried to return to your normal selves.

Both of you were quiet, miserable,depressed and above all, lonely.

Without that mighty bellow of a laugh that was Pops, or the cheeky grin of smile that was Ace, nothing would ever truly be right again.

Aside from Thatch and Marco (oh, how you missed Thatch too...) Ace was your best friend. He was like the older brother you never had. Always teasing you and doting on you playfully. Ruffling your hair and giving you ridiculous nick names. However, should someone upset you, a part of the crew or otherwise, he would go full saiyan.(Dragon Ball Reference >.

Of course, we all know how close Whitebeard and Marco were. Not everyone is good enough for the first division. And the fact he was selected as commander, proved the faith the old man had in the blond boy was strong.

Of course, it was all different now.

Marco was now captain.

You were first division commander.

Some others had joined the crew and filled in the gaps of the second and fourth division.

Sighing to yourself, you continued your way down the seemingly endless corridor. Those who passed you, offered you a soft smile which was gladly taken, but not returned.

As you passed the old man's room, you couldn't help but feel your chest tighten. You knew who inhabited the room now. So when you heard muffled sobs coming from the room, your heart tugged painfully in your chest.

On any other occasion, you'd keep walking. Marco was a man of high pride, so being caught crying was not an option. But at that moment, you didn't care. The only other person you could relate to in this world, was upset.

You knocked gently on his door three times.

"Marco..."

You whispered softly. Immediately,you heard a sniffle. All sounds of tears vanished.

"Wh-what is it?"

He hiccuped, and for a brief moment, you smiled as he cursed himself for the small action.

You quickly opened his door, which resulted in him bolting up from his place at his desk, knocking the chair over. Clear red streaks lined his puffy cheeks. Eyes swollen and blood shot.

"H-hey! I didn't say you could come in, get out!"

He barked, wiping his eyes with the palms of his hands. You shook your head and walked closer, catching the blond off guard as you pulled him into a tight hug.

"Oi! (Y/n), what're you-"

"Shh. Marco, it's ok."

His eyebrows came together.

"What do you-"

"It's ok."

Confusion shot through his brain.

"(Y/n)-"

You looked up into his azure blue eyes, a stern softness in your own as you repeated the same words.

"It's ok."

As he gazed back down into your glowing (e/c) orbs, something within him cracked upon hearing those words. Tears began to flow uncontrollably down his face, a small sob bubbled out of his throat before he could catch it.

He gathered your smaller form into his arms, hugging you close as his forehead fell onto your shoulder.

"It's never g-gonna be the same again!"

He whimpered,fingers curling desperately into the fabric of your shirt. As if clinging to the last being upon the entire earth who meant anything to him.

"I know."

You whispered,one hand resting on the back of his head,where you gently toyed with his blond strands of unruly hair. The other tracing circles on his back.

"I-it's not fair! They b-both had so much l-left to live for! A-Ace was only twen'y one! And p-pops..."

Upon the mention of his farthers name, a louder sob ripped from his throat. A broken sob that reflected his emotions at the time. You squeezed your own eyes shut in an attempt to keep your own tears at bay.

"H-he was supposed to be the p-pirate king!"

Marco choked out, his usually strong form, shaking against you. His legs threatened to give out beneath him with the ferocity of his trembling, and if not for your smaller, yet by no means weaker, form keeping him up. He would have probably sank to his knees by now.

"I know."

You mumbled. Tears finally begining to drip down your cheeks, that, once upon a time, would have never known the feel of such salty liquid.

"Ace,"

The blond began. His breathing begining to steady.

"He...He died...because he was protecting the old man's honour! And yet...He still didn't deem himself good enough! He was...was probably the best suited to be a son to pops then any of us!"

Marco cried out, breaths coming in rugged.

"I know..."

You whispered once again. Marco quickly pulled away, and placed his hands on your shoulders. Shoulders that were slowly begining to shake with silent sobs. His bright, electric blue eyes stared right into yours. Desperate for an answer.

"Why?! Why didn't he think he was good enough?!"

The tall man yelled, frantic in his search for an answer. Even though he knew it was impossible for you to provide him with these answers, he begged for them anyway.

"I...I don't know..."

You replied, heart beating furiously. He remained silent for a moment. Simply staring you straight in the eye. Before he, once again, latched on to you in a soul-shattering hug.

You remained like that for a while. Keeping a tight grip on him. Not letting go until you were sure he was in no danger of braking apart.

After that encounter, you remained close with Marco. Never leaving his side, and always being there for him when he needed reminding that everything would be ok. To which he did the same for you.

And so slowly, piece by piece, you put eachother back together. Healing the wounds delt by the memory of the mourning you both went through.

Most nights, you would find yourself holding the Phoenix close. Whispering words of encouragement to the man, as he tried to sleep through the haunting memories that stalked his mind.

Through the years, one particular speech remained within his head. Forever being his inspiration to keep on going...

"We are the only ones who remain who can carry on the will of our fallen brother and farther. Only we posses the strength needed to make it through this. With Ace and Thatch gone, we are the last of the small group of which is able to uphold the courage to keep moving forward. We are...the last...of us."

-AN-
Does the ending make sense? I don't really know. I enjoyed writing this one. It was super feely to write. But oh well. Thanks for reading guys! Love you all! (Oh yeah, and as if you can't feels any more, am I the only once who can imagine Angel Thatch beating up Angel Ace for being such an easily angered idiot whilst Whitebeard watches and laughs?)