Trafalgar Law

The theatre was almost deathly silent. Eerily so, and if not for the methodical beeping and whirring of the apparatus you couldn't even begin to name, the silence would have been deafening.

"Shit, ow--"

"Stay still."

A huff was your response to the lanky man behind you, discomfort prickling under the tattered skin he was sewing shut.

You knew he was mad. If Law's heart wasn't truly into a predicament at hand, there wasn't much you could do to stop him complaining about it. It was when he was distressed, upset or annoyed beyond comprehension that he stewed in silence. If the fact that your injuries could have been avoided had you just listened to your Captain and avoided the flanks of Marines swarming the dock, as opposed to rushing at them like a psychotic bull in a China shop, was anything of a teller; then yes, he was angry at you.

You knew it was justified. But you had come away an entire fleet of Marines lighter and that small victory made you much too smug to admit a fault.

"There," he stated simply and you sighed, giving your should a slight roll to test the waters, the accompanying tug uncomfortable enough to make you hiss.

"That'll need two weeks minimum to heal. Until then, no physical activity and certainly no fighting."

"So I'm benched."

"If that's how you want to phrase it."

You had your shirt back on quick enough to turn and watch the irate man discard of his soiled needle and later gloves. Tension was coiling just beneath the surface of his skin if his taut shoulders was enough of an indicator and when he was turned around again, you could see the grit in his jaw.

Guilt washed over you, weakening your resolve. You sighed.

"I'm sorry. I should have listened to you. You're my Captain, I'm here to do as you say, whether I like it or not."

His grey eyes met yours as the apology, holding silent contact for a moment before he heaved a breath, folding his arms over his sternum and shrugging.

"What's done is done. We can't change that now."

"I know. And I'm sorry."

"So you should be."

A hint of playfulness simmered in his words, prompting a smirk from you.

"Any way I can make it up to you?"

A hum vibrated at the back of his throat as he slunk towards you painfully slow, standing at a height that exceeded yours so greatly, you were forced to crane your head back to see his face. His hands came down on the cot you were sat on.

"Perhaps remember I'm your Captain first, your partner second. You'll know when I'm ordering you around for fun, and when I'm being serious."

You nodded, looking down for a moment before casting your gaze back, pressing a kiss at the slant of his jaw.

"You're right."

He hummed again, "I know."

You scoffed and slapped his shoulder, an action far too abrupt for your injured arm, causing a sharp sting of pain to travel up your arm and neck. The involuntary twitch it caused you didn't go unnoticed to Law's keen eye and he scowled.

"I told you not to move around so much, you'll tear your stitches."

His eyes only narrowed more at the mischievous smile that tugged at your lips, "will you be here to patch me back up?"

"Of course I will."

You grinned then, prompting another look of warning from the older man.

"Then it'll be worth it."