-Mihawk-

-AN-
Hi guys. I've been gone a while, I know, but school has started again, and I'm exhausted. I'm sorry, but I'm not answering to things like comments and messages as much any more. There's a lot of pressure, and I'm just too tired. I'll update when I can, please be patient with me.

Trigger warning: Self harm.

-For my dear friend, you know who you are.

Song: Ashes remain- On My Own.

------------------------

The dull click of heeled boots on checkered tile rang throughout the empty halls of the manor. A coat, intricate in design and draped to ankle height, flowed out slightly behind the golden-eyed male. His gaze, sparked with purpose, scanned every inch of the halls he had memorized to the letter.

His chest, of which was exposed by his open coat, was painfully empty without the blade-bearing-cross usually hung there. The absence playing on his mind. His small dagger had not been at his bedside, where he left it before he fell asleep the previous night. Its absence wasn't what irked him, it was how its absence had been brought about that did.

Nobody would be stupid enough to risk the trek up here, simply to steal his dagger, would they? No. Of course not. His manor was surrounded by yards of woodland, and fighting-baboons. Nobody could make it up here.

The raven-haired male zoned out for a moment, tuning into his haki which told him where the only other three occupants of his manor were.

Perona: In the dining area.

Zoro: The front yard.

(Name): Her quarters.

Mihawk's eyebrow twitched slightly as he sensed pain radiating from (Name). His lover. His mind, almost as sharp as, if not more than, his eyes, quickly pieced everything together. He halted. The clicking stopped.

(Name) had had a long running battle with anxiety and depression, something she had told him in the utmost confidence. And, while he didn't want to accuse her of anything...

She was in pain.

His dagger was gone.

She was alone.

A sense of fear he had never experienced, pierced his heart like fine point on a new blade. His footsteps picked up once again, the clicking of his heels faster as he turned swiftly, this way and that, through the corridors that led to his beloveds bedroom.

His knocks, rapid and hard, perfectly reflected the terror in his heart.

His call of her name was deep, and unyielding, even in his frantic state. After all, he would never show physical weakness. However, he could make an exception.

Especially when (Name)'s only reply was a defeated whimper, which made no effort to hide the agony she felt.

The door was flung aside within a second, and not even the startling splashes of crimson delayed his progress towards his loved one.

Sure enough, his dagger was by her side, doused in blood and dripping with years of pent-up pain.

"Mihawk..."

She gasped weakly, tears streaking her smooth cheeks, eyes inflamed and red. Her voice was staggered and bisected into rugged sobs as she stared with a half-lidded gaze at the swordsman before her.

"I'm s-o sorry...!"

The young woman cried out, earning a pitiful look from her beloved. He hushed her softly, tucking her tangled hair behind her ear. Mihawk had never seen her look so pained.

He had read about depression and self harm many times, and, while he was not ignorant to the horror the dark thoughts and emotions brought by the chemical-imbalance, what he had read was no-where near as terrifying as he had thought.

Truly, this was something to be feared.

Cuts, jagged and scarring lined her wrist and arm, dripping with freshly-shed blood.

Quickly, and without much forethought, he gripped the closest fabric to him, a discarded scarf, and wrapped it securely around her battered arm. Apologising quietly at the hiss of indrawn breath she emitted in pain.

He knew why she had done this, so he knew not to ask. And instead, took her hand and pulled her up and onto her bed. Previously having been sat on the floor.

"(Name)..."

He uttered after a lengthy silence. He felt her head on his shoulder as she sniffled, tears stopping their flow. He drew in a deep breath.

"Trial and Triumph go hand in hand. And it is the trials we face that make the triumph that much better. A battle, such as the one you are facing, will be an inspirational chapter in your life when you look back at it from the winning end."

He stated, turning to his lover and taking her hands, staring into her glowing, (e/c) lamps with a burning intensity glistening in his liquid-golden pools.

"And I urge you to come to me with your anguish, before taking it out on yourself. Please."

Her eyes widened. She had never heard him plead for something before... The desperation un-hidden by his words, coupled with the brightening spark in his eyes is what compelled her to nod. He smiled somewhat, resting his forehead on hers.

"My little ray of sunshine..."

He breathed, placing a kiss upon her temple which soothed her to the core. Enough to allow the tiniest of smiles to crack upon her lips.

Maybe one day she would come to regret her words. On the days she felt like pain was her only option, she would surely wish she could wipe away her decision to rely on him. But ultimately, deep in her heart, she knew it was leading to something bigger, better than the life she currently led.

And that, was what reminded her. She didn't have to fight on her own.