Ace x Reader. Bring me to life.

-AN-
No! No,no,no,no! This is not about Ace's death, so don't panic my wonderful readers!

Song-Bring me to life~ Evenesance

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The thick underbrush of the trees seemed to grab at her ankles as she ran. The forest was winding, never ending. Like a labyrinth, every step she thought led her to freedom, only dragged her deeper into the heart of the dense population of trees.

The sky was obscured by the overgrown plants; the branches seemed to twist and shift in their attempt to lean down, and grab at the girl.

Flashes of reality zapped through her mind. Images of her freckled lover, and his concerned face as he tried to shake her awake.

It was often this way. She always lost herself to the realm of dreams, only for the beautiful, yet fictional, pictures to turn grim. She would always know she was asleep. Yet the dreams were so real; so horrifying, she couldn't help but be scared.

Images of his face slashed through her mind. All of them, clear depictions of the man trying to rouse her from her slumber. But he couldn't. The dreams had to run their course.

Scrambling through the night, eerie whispers of ill-intended thoughts resounded with head. Whether they were reflections of her own paranoia, or genuine voices, she didn't know.

"Wake me up."

"Call my name."

"Save me from the dark."

She gasped, her momentary shock of the whispers being enough to make her lose her footing. She tripped, crashing onto the jagged, rough edges of many thorns and twigs.

She cried out in pain, the needle-like thorns slicing her skin and stabbing her body like some deranged murderer.

For once, there was no doubt in her mind that the whispers were her own. True reflections of her desires in that one moment.

Back-pedalling from the shards of wood and plant life, her back hit against a large tree behind her.

Blocking out the pain in her body, she hugged her knees to her chest, tears soaking the shredded clothes adorning her beaten body. Uncontrollably, she began to rock back and fourth, chanting a song in her head.

"Wake me up inside!
(I can't wake up!)
Wake me up inside!
(I can't wake up!)
Call my name,
And save me from the dark!
Bid my blood to run!
(I can't wake up!)
Before I come undone!
Save me from the nothing I've become!"

"(NAME)!"

Her (e/c) orbs flew wide, breathing deep and rapid as she locked gazes with the man who, only seconds ago, she saw torn images of flash through her mind.

"Thank God, you're awake."

He whispered, gathering his beloved in his bare arms. She quickly hugged back, clinging to the male with a desperation that was evident to the second division commander.

After a few minutes of comfort-cuddling, Ace laid them both back down. He hugged the girl close, rendering her the little spoon as he nuzzled his face into her shoulder, placing butterfly kisses across the skin.

"Go back to sleep, babe. You need your rest."

The raven whispered, arms tightening around her waist.

She nodded, however she didn't carry out his command. It was early morning, around 2am, and, with Ace now snoring quietly in her ear, her eye lids began to droop.

She was exhausted, of course she was. Those nightmares were horrifying. But she didn't want to sleep.

Despite her stubborn attempt at staying awake, she couldn't, and soon, she fell asleep again. Only to wake, laying bloody and torn on a forest floor.

She rose to her feet, sweeping off the dirt on her clothes as she began speeding forward.

It was always like this. She always found herself running around in a twisted reality, of which only morning could end. She knew it was a dream, but still, she was terrified.

Because somewhere, deep down, she knew this would be a scene she would recognise in her future. In her reality. However, for now, she could only hope she was brought out from these dreams.

Brought back to reality.

Brought back to life....

-AN-
Don't even ask. I'm tired. I'm sentimental. And I got the idea watching a nightcore video. (The one I tagged with this)