|1| The aftermath

(Author's noteReminder that this story comes from Devil's Doctor so this chapter might be a bit confusing or fast paced if you don't know what happened, I will explain but not in detail so if you wanna understand better or refresh your memory read...

(Author's note
Reminder that this story comes from Devil's Doctor so this chapter might be a bit confusing or fast paced if you don't know what happened, I will explain but not in detail so if you wanna understand better or refresh your memory read from chapter 44 to at least 46)

Every single day I wake up after the same dream. There's no way to stop it, it just happens, a constant repetition of my worst nightmare.

I see myself back in that room with my brother, Matteo, trying to stop him from detonating that bomb but it's always in vain. I jump to save him even after knowing the consequences and then everything moves into an operating room where the only thing I can see or hear it's Danielle repeating the words "I have to amputate, there's no other way".

And every time I wake up with the same painful feeling that a part of me is missing and there's nothing I can do about it.

"Mr Russo, can I come in?" The voice of Mia the nurse who takes care of me takes me back to reality.

She is a family friend, our mothers were practically inseparable and her father owns this clinic. He isn't part of our lifestyle but from time to time he gives us hand. Specifically when someone gets hurt.

"Sure," I say not even sure of what she is asking.

She was the first person I saw when I got out of my coma and I still remember the face she made when she noticed I was awake. It's like every emotion traveled through her brown eyes, from surprise to fear and to the worst one, pity.

"I have to change your bandages, is that okay?" She walks in carefully.

"Do whatever you have to do." I lay back against the bed and try to forget about my leg.

Deep down I know that if I don't get myself to see it I will never get to live with it but it's easier to act as if nothing ever happened than to face the issue.

"How's the pain? If you need more morphine I can talk with my dad." She says as I feel her removing the old bandages and replacing them.

"I don't need morphine," I reply coldly. "Did my brother say anything about when I could go home?"

"I think he is discussing it with my dad." She finally finishes and I can look back up front.

Focusing on her I stare right into the smile that never seems to leave her face and how strangely enough always looks genuine. I have known her since she was only a kid and not once I had seen her without it.

"Do you ever not smile?" I decide to ask after years of wondering.

"Sometimes I don't." She replies switching to a straight face as she picks up all her stuff and leaves the room.

Was I paying my frustration with everyone around me? Probably, yeah. But finding someone to pass the guilt to comes naturally in these situations even if it means hurting people you know don't deserve it. Like Danielle.