|86| The trial

The day of the trial

I stand in the middle of what used to be my room when I was a kid. Staring at my reflection in the mirror right across the room that is still filled with stickers and Polaroids of my teenage years. I can barely recognize myself, the tight ponytail, the black suit, this isn't me at all and it only makes me feel more anxious about this whole situation. Why would I think wearing a suit was a good idea?

It's only one in the afternoon and the trial is at four, I could try to find something else to wear, maybe a dress, I have time. And then I should also wash my hair and wear my curls down, I'm a witness, not the one being judged, no need for such professionalism, it's ridiculous.

"You look so beautiful and elegant, honey, I had never seen you in a suit before." My dad appears just in the right moment accompanied by the words I so desperately needed to hear.

"Isn't it too much? I was thinking of hopping back in the shower and start again." I look at him for a second before moving back to my reflection once again. I could find a hundred different things in my appearance that I hate right about now in less than five seconds. And that's weird for me, I had always been pretty confident in the way I look but right now, right now I'm not.

"Not at all, you look powerful. The ponytail really ties it all together." I don't know how he can always pinpoint what it is I'm worrying about without me telling him. It has to be a superpower.

"You always know what to say, thank you, Dad," I say feeling slightly better about this whole thing but still anxious as hell.

I texted Carlos this morning asking for his opinion on what I should wear, I have never done that before, but he has good taste and I guess I also just needed someone to take at least one decision out of my hands. He said that the suit was the way to go, and I don't know why it surprised me when all he wears day to day are suits even if his wardrobe is filled with expensive really stylish brand new clothes.

"I guess it's my superpower." He steals my exact thought and I can't help but smile at him, finally leaving my reflection behind.

"I guess it is."

"Wow, you look badass, kid," Rick says from behind my father. "Carlos' idea?"

"Obviously." I nod. Maybe Rick's superpower is knowing Carlos.

"You got really pretty early though, still two hours to go, I was thinking we should get there around three or three thirty. Just to make sure." My dad moves to the side so I can see Rick properly.

"Yeah I know, just wanted to make sure the outfit worked, and that sounds like a plan. Should I text Carlos or did you already?" I try to sound as confident as possible.

"I already did, he texted me early in the morning telling me to update him the moment we had the schedule set."

"Okay, perfect. I think I'm going to call Mark and text the girls, see how they are holding up. Dad, would you mind making me an omelet and a salad? I don't have much appetite but I don't want to go on an empty stomach either." When I'm nervous I always used to eat more but these last few days I barely feel like eating. Just thinking about food gives me a stomach ache.