|70| The call

"Hey, are you okay? Do you want something to eat?" Carlos whispers while gently moving some of my messy strands of hair behind my ear

I look at him a little confused, still half asleep and not sure of what time it is or actually not sure of even the day it is. I feel like I have been sleeping for ages but at the same time, I don't have the energy to simply breathe.

"What time is it?" I ask trying my best to stand from my lying position and noticing all the pillows around me, mine, Carlos' and some decorative ones too. All surrounding me like a little bubble.

"You kept saying you were uncomfortable so I gave you all of them," Carlos explains quietly. "Made a little pillow fort."

"You did?" I look at him my head pulsating at my every word.

"I didn't know what else to do." He admits his face is full of vulnerability.

"Don't worry, it's perfect. Thank you." I whisper using one of the pillows to lie comfortably against the headboard. "How long have I been sleeping for? I feel as if a truck has run me over."

"Around sixteen hours. It's almost nine, Wednesday." He tells me sitting down on the bed next to me but keeping a small distance.

"The police and-" I try to ask for Santos but I can't.

"They are gone. The bathroom is clean too, Rick helped me." Carlos says putting his hand over my thigh that's still under the covers.

Looking down I notice I'm not wearing the same clothes I was wearing yesterday, probably because they were soaked in blood. Now, instead of the grey hoodie I kept stealing from him I have a black one on and long pajama pants replace the little cotton shorts. My hands and legs are also spotless.

"You cleaned me up too?" I ask not remembering a single thing right after I broke down in his arms.

"I did, I... I showered you." He mutters. "I didn't know if I should have or not but there was a lot of blood and I thought it would be easier like that."

He sounds so unsure of himself and I have never seen him like this before, it's almost as if he felt guilty for cleaning me up when he was just taking care of me. And watching him like this hurts more than everything that happened yesterday.

"Carlos it's fine, thank you for taking care of me." I give him the best smile I can gather given the circumstances.

But he stares at me, his blue eyes looking a different shade than usual. Darker. I'm not sure if because of the little light coming through the blinds or just because I'm crazy but darker or not what I can clearly see in them is pain. Pain and fear.

"I- I thought I had lost you." He says finally, his words barely there.

Those simple words make my heart ache.

"You didn't, I'm here. I'm still here." I take his hand that's still over my thigh and move him closer.

"I was so scared it- it was like being there all over again but this time it was so much worse. It felt like the world was ending, like my world was ending." He continues looking at me as if I would vanish into the thin air the moment he stopped.