|36| The stick to what's important

"I can explain, please let me explain

"I can explain, please let me explain." I try for her to listen to my words.

"I don't wanna hear it, not now Carlos. I'm asking you to leave me alone." Her voice is cold and commanding, the pain being substituted by angriness.

"Mia, I'm sorry I really am." I apologize because that's all I can think of.

I'm panicking. I have never felt like this, not for a woman not for anyone. I don't do this, I don't apologize for my actions I just do it and hope the consequences won't mess up everything even further but this time I feel like shit, I fucked up big time and I did the one thing I promised myself I wouldn't do, I hurt her.

"I need time." I follow her with my eyes as she goes to the kitchen and takes her bag.

No, no, no, she can't leave. She can't.

"Where are you going? No, stop. Mia, please don't leave." I get in front of her desperately trying to stop her.

"Please, get out of the way." Those words feel like stabs going through my heart.

"Mia... please. Don't leave me." I let go of my crutch and go to touch her face, craving the feel of her skin against mine. "I can explain, I will tell you everything. I'm so sorry." I don't let go of her and she doesn't move away from my touch either.

We both look directly into each other's eyes taking advantage of these few seconds together. I try through my touch and my stare to tell her how sorry I am, how much I regret not telling her the truth. I didn't mean to hurt her... I didn't mean to but I couldn't let him go free. I wish she would listen, just for a minute.

"Please, baby..." I beg one last time, the new nickname leaving my lips before I can stop it.

"I'm sorry." She gives a step back and my hand falls away from her face.

I didn't know I could miss someone's touch as much as I missed hers until that moment. And even if all I want is to move closer, hug her body against mine and never let her go I instead move out of her way so she can keep going. If she wants to leave I can't stop her, no matter how much it hurts.

"I am really sorry," I mutter as she gets past me. Each step she gives towards the door breaks a different piece of my heart.

"I just need time." She whispers loud enough for me to hear before giving the final step.

"I understand," I answer, also in a whisper that barely makes it out through the closing door.

I understand. I do but it hurts like hell. And everything's my fault. If only I had told her the truth, she might still be here. She just asked me to trust her, to not lie to her... that's all she needed to stay and I couldn't even do that.

Everything is my fault. Everything is my fault. It's always my fault.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I shout at the top of my lungs throwing my crutches hard against the kitchen island and letting myself fall to the hard wooden floor. "Eres un idiota, un jodido idiota," I mutter burying my face between my legs that won't stop hurting now. (You are an idiot, a fucking idiot.)