|89| The misery

A week later

A week later

Turning off the TV after not finding anything worth to keep my head from wandering I look to my left. Where over a desk, the phone Alessio said he used to contact my father has been resting for about six days now, untouched yet calling for me every second, screaming at me to check the recent calls, to get to the bottom of this at last.

For six days I have been trying to convince myself to take that phone but I still haven't. I gave it all for this information and now I can't even let myself use it.

"How are you doing?" Rick enters my hospital room for the second time today, instantly bringing me back from my constant overthinking.

"The same as I was this morning." My attempt to make this situation a little less depressing is a total failure, I just sound like an asshole.

Well, I guess I kind of am.

"Always so charming." Thankfully he is used to my shit by now and doesn't really give much importance to it. "The doctor said you are healing nicely though, that you are a "really good patient" I almost asked if he had mistaken you for someone else." Rick smiles jokingly.

He has been coming to visit me every day for the last week, at least three times a day, once in the morning, another in the afternoon, and at night too. I told him that it wasn't necessary, that I'm fine but he insisted. A part of me knows is just because he cares about me but I know it is because he doesn't trust me that I will behave and allow myself to recover.

And to be fair, in other circumstances he would have been right, usually, I would have tried to get out of this fucking hospital on day two but that afternoon, when I collapsed in the middle of the street after leaving Mia alone in the apartment everything changed. I wanna go home, of course, I do but I know that when I go back she won't be there...

That's what's stopping me.

"Yeah, I mean every time I moved I felt as if that car hit me all over again so I try not to do much," I mutter remembering that he had said something and my mind goes back to that day once again, it all comes in painful flashbacks, from that car hitting me to seeing Mia's face at the top of the court stairs to her love confession back in the apartment.

I can still hear her voice, how broken she sounded. And I thought that hearing that once was already hard enough but every time I remember it, it hurts a little more. I simply just can't stop thinking about her. About everything she said.

She invades my brain.

"Why don't you call her, kid? I think that she would like to know that you are in the hospital, I know I stopped you from going after her that day but I didn't know what had actually happened. She didn't know either, and sure you fucked up but you tried to get there, and if you explain that I think she would understand." Rick tries once again, oblivious to what truly happened that day.