|76| The last few days

A few days later

A few days later

Extending my hand with my eyes still closed I search for him, but after a few attempts of just feeling the cold cotton sheets against my fingertips I stop, opening my eyes to find exactly what I expected, an empty left side of the bed.

For a second I think that maybe I overslept and that that's the reason he is missing, I try to convince of that myself actually, my heart preferring to believe that over any other possibility but then, when I take my phone and read 7 am my little bubble of hope pops. Reality hitting me like a bucket of cold water.

The saddest part? It's been like this for four days and every day I wake up thinking "Today is going to be different".

Well, it isn't.

Since that night when he got- since that night...our relationship has taken a turn. Every night, he lies down beside me, after a long day of ignoring me and everyone around him and just stares deep into my eyes for a minute. Every night I wait, looking straight into his eyes for him to say something. And every night I fall asleep without hearing a single word with the feeling of him reaching to touch me but never getting there.

And I try not to blame myself, I do but it doesn't work, because deep down I know that we wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't kept what happened to Matteo away from him... because I know that that night, if he hadn't been angry at me he would have stayed, I would have asked him to stay, instead of screaming at him to go fuck himself.

Now I can't go back and he can't either.

Removing the sheets from the lower half of my body I sit down over the bed and stare at myself in the mirror across me. The first rays of the morning sun hitting me right on the eyes and making me tear up. Swiping the tears away with the sleeve of one of his shirts that I'm currently wearing I reach for the hair tie resting over my bedside table and put my hair up in a messy ponytail. My curls begging for wash day and some styling products.

Then I stand up, and after a few pointless seconds of trying to find my slippers, I decide to go barefoot and follow the usual path to his office, knowing that he is either there or on the rooftop. I zig-zag around the boxes out in the hallway filled with stuff we need to move to the other house he said we would be moving to "someday soon" and finally reach his door.

This time it's open which saves me the knocking part and I just step inside. My hand against the handle.

"Good morning," I tell him waiting for him to notice me but apparently he is too occupied staring at his laptop screen. "Carlos," I say a little louder this time, finally making him break his focus on the computer.

"Hi, yeah good morning." He mutters, quickly going back to whatever it is on that screen that's so interesting on a Sunday morning.

"Want to have breakfast? I was thinking we could go up to the rooftop if you want, it's sunny outside. A little cold but with a hoodie I'm sure we will be just fine." I ask while anxiously tapping my nails against the metal of the door handle waiting for an answer.