|100| The Epilogue

(Au

(Au. Wrote this while listening to Lover, You Should Have Come Over by Jeff Buckley and The Gold by Phoebe Bridges, both fit but the first one hits harder)

Four years later

It's the second weekend of the month meaning that it's my turn to be with Julia. Mia and I have been doing shared custody since she turned one. For a week and usually the second weekend of the month she stays at my home and the rest of the time she stays at Mia's. I wish I could have her for a lot longer but since she is still pretty young we decided this was the best way to go. In the future, we will probably redo the schedule.

I ended up moving from the apartment I rented when I came back from rehab two years ago since Julia's school was pretty far from it and bought a big apartment close to Mia's house. Being near them made everything a lot easier.

If I could buy that apartment it was only because the security business I started back then was doing pretty well, and still is, it was difficult at first, the Russo name wasn't especially loved around here but with time I was able to make something else out of it. Rick, my dad, helped me too. We started working together the moment I came back and also making up for all the time we lost as father and son. Sometimes it still is a bit weird between us, too much history, but we are family nonetheless.

Mia's and I's relationship took a turn, we work a lot differently now than how we used to do, Co-parenting is not always easy but I would dare to say we are friends, family in a way, too. We try to be for Julia, everything we do is for her. And so far I'm proud to admit that we have done an amazing job. I still wish things had worked between us, that we could raise Julia together but at the end of the day what matters is that she is happy, and she is a very happy kid, so smart and beautiful too.

She is my everything and our bond is truly incredible.

Last weekend we went to the zoo, she had the time of her life.

"Daddy, do you think I could ride a giraffe?" She asks from the backside of the car.

"I don't think so honey, They are wild animals and too tall for that." I smile looking at her through the rearview mirror.

"What about a lion?" Her little head bops to the side as if she were picturing it.

"I think that might be worse, lions are not as friendly in real life as the ones in Lion King, baby. But if you want I can ask your mom if I can get you horse riding next week. That's a safe animal to ride." Maybe I could ask Danielle too and take her and Miles.

"But horses are boring, everyone can do that." She shakes her head.

"Okay, what if go with ponies?" I try.