|11| The smile to the past

"Y crees que eso funcionará?" I ask my brother

"Y crees que eso funcionará?" I ask my brother. (You think that will work?")

I ended up accepting his call because as Mia said behaving like an 'bitch' wasn't helping anyone. Her professionalism left her for a second there and I won't lie, I didn't expect that.

"No lo tengo muy claro pero es mejor que no tener nada." Matteo says. (I'm not sure but it's better than nothing)

He thinks that to find the people who are after us we need help and he is right, we can't do this alone not with me and other men of our team out of the picture. We lost too many of them these last few months. The problem is whose help he wants, and how he is gonna get that help.

"Si tú crees que esa es nuestra mejor opción te apoyo pero no creo que él FBI esté por la labor de ayudarnos." The FBI has been after us for years, they won't help us if we don't give them the best of deals. (If you think that's our best option I support it but I don't think that the FBI will work with us)

"Lo harán si les doy algo a cambio que no pueden rechazar." He explains. (They will do it if I give them something they truly want)

"Ese es el problema, que vas a darles?" Matteo is smart, I know he won't do this if he doesn't think he can win but he is also reckless sometimes and I'm not there to stop him now. (That's the problem, what are you gonna give them?)

"Pensaré en algo." He brushes it off. "Danielle no sabe nada y me gustaría que quedase así." He whispers. (I will think of something. Danielle doesn't know anything and I would like it to stay that way)

"No es que hable con ella pero seguro que ocultárselo es buena idea?" I know he is trying to protect her but sometimes the more you try to do something the worst it gets. (It's not like I speak with her but are you sure that keeping this away from her is a good idea?)

"Si se me va de las manos no quiero que ella sufra las consecuencias, no merece esta mierda." He is protecting her, as expected. (If this gets out of hand I don't want her to suffer the consequences, she doesn't deserve it)

She is going to kill him when she figures out he is keeping information from her. And she will figure it out, Danielle is a smart woman.

"Bien, no hay más que hablar entonces." It's not like we have any other option so this is it. (Fine, it's settled then)

"Matteo?" I can hear Danielle's voice on the other side.

"Yes, angel?" Matteo seems to move the phone away but I can still hear him. The mother fucker is as whipped as he can be.

"Can you come with me for a second? I need your help." She says this time I hear it more clearly so she is probably in the same room as him.

"Of course baby, just a second." He brings the phone closer. "Tengo que irme, Danni me llama." (I have to go, Danni is calling me)