|12| The red polish

He smiled and for a second everything that had happened was forgotten

He smiled and for a second everything that had happened was forgotten. His face lit up, deep blue icy eyes becoming warm and welcoming as his cheekbones got sharper and his lips got surrounded by the softest of smile lines. I didn't know someone's smile could hold that much power until now.

And I couldn't stop thinking about it for the whole night, about how it was my words that caused it, how good it looked on him and how comforting it was. Wishing he would smile more often because it's almost like a superpower, such a beautiful one too.

But I also couldn't stop thinking about how lines were starting to get blurry. I'm getting too comfortable, we both are. Sharing more information than we should share or bonding in a way a nurse and a patient wouldn't. And I have to be professional, it is my job.

I never talk about that part of my life, never. But when he asked I couldn't keep quiet because it was when he asked that I noticed what had happened. He said my name and it was just Carlos saying it, I didn't think about him.

For a second I forgot it all and I shouldn't have, I couldn't allow myself to forget it. Because if I allow myself to do that all my progress will be in vain, it's fighting the past that's keeping me going. As he said, living with it and hoping it doesn't drown me. That's how I survive, that's how we survive.

Finally getting out of bed I shower and put on a simple white shirt, some wide-leg knit pants, and my white coat on top. Then, checking myself in the mirror I notice my messy hair and chipped nail polish. Taking care of Carlos has consumed most of my time and I stopped doing my little beauty routines. And it's not his fault, I have time for myself but I usually spend it researching ways to help him or looking for similar cases to his.

"I deserve some me time," I mutter to myself as I go to my private bathroom and search around for my toiletry bag where I know a dark red nail polish should be. "Found it."

My hair could wait, after all, I wear it up all the time because it's way more comfortable for work but painting my nails won't interfere and it will make me feel better. Taking out the old pinkish color I paint them with the red one, my favorite color to wear as it matches my tan complexion. Waiting for it to dry I find my mascara laying around and decide to put some on too. It feels like ages since I did something for myself and I missed it.

Checking myself in the mirror again I add some tinted lip balm, put my hair up in a bun, and smile at the final product. Incredible how a little makeup can change everything, from your appearance to your confidence.

"Back to work now," I whisper taking the medical bag and leaving for the kitchen.

Putting the bag over one of the chairs on the island I move to the fridge and check what's inside. Eggs and fruit, I can make something from that. Taking some strawberries and blueberries I wash them well and put them in two separate bowls. Following with the eggs I go with a simple omelet and get two glasses of juice ready. Putting them over a tray for Carlos right next to his pills I go to his room.