|43| The comfort

"What do you have?" I ask Rick getting straight to the point

"Eager to get back to her huh?" He smirks. "Never thought I would see this day, Carlos Russo whipped to the core."

"Really? You wanna talk about this?" I huff sitting behind my desk.

"Oh come on boy you know I'm just messing with you, I'm happy you found someone. Especially someone like her, that girl is one of a kind. You got lucky so don't fuck it up." He smiles proudly.

Rick acted more like a father than my dad ever did and even if sometimes I want nothing more than to hit him so he shuts up for once in his life I know he means well. He has been by Matteo's and my side for more than twenty years so whether I like to admit it or not he is family.

"Yeah yeah, I'm aware. Everyone keeps reminding me." I say looking down at my sore legs. "Tell me what you found, the longer we take the farther away my dad will get."

I have to talk about Mia to start with the prosthetics again, I can't keep doing this. If my right leg hadn't been compromised in the accident too it would have been easier, I would probably be able to stand on it for longer periods of time but the scars aren't fully healed yet and my strength isn't the same if I want to get as close to normalcy as before the prosthetic is my only option.

"You said that Nathan's daughter was not an option so I had to dig deep. It took a while which is why I didn't call you and I swear at some point I thought I wouldn't find shit but then I found this." Rick takes his phone out of his pocket and unlocks it. "About five years ago this picture was taken." He hands me the phone.

I stare at the picture where a younger-looking Porter, dressed in a nice suit is escorting someone inside a black car.

"What's important about this?"

"The guy he is arresting if you wanna call it that, Carson Ellis, son of Julian Ellis." Rick smiles.

"The minister?" I ask and he nods straight away.

"Guess who was running free with a clean record the next day and promoted to special agent in charge in less than two months." Rick's smile just grows bigger, he lives for this.

"You are truly the best at this Rick." I might be good at finding people and their deepest secrets but Rick, he has always been the best.

"I think we can use it, apparently Carson got tangled in some big mess. Something about someone overdosing at one of his big parties. With the ambulance came two police officers who found drugs all around his penthouse, his so-called friends were quick to turn against him, saying the drugs were all Carson's. The police were about to arrest him when Nathan appeared, he flashed his FBI badge and said he will take care of it." He explains.

It's standard, some rich kid fucks up and daddy buys his freedom. What surprises me is that they hid it so poorly.

"How did you find out?" I ask a little suspicious. "You would think they would try to hide this properly."