|41| The explanation

The floor was mine and so was the opportunity to make this right

The floor was mine and so was the opportunity to make this right. I couldn't fuck it up, not now.

"First, I want to apologize once again. You told me that who Mason was didn't matter and it wasn't my right to find out who he was so I could do what I did." I say looking directly at her. "And though I am sorry I betrayed you that way, that I kept you in the dark about something that involved you I won't lie to you now. I regret not telling you but I don't regret, not for a second, what I did to Mason." As I say that her face changes slightly exactly as I expected.

But I can't lie to her, I won't tell her that if I could go back I wouldn't have done it because I would. I would have done it differently that's for sure, I would have told her about my plan but Mason... he had it coming, he deserved to pay for everything he had done to her and women and no part of me, selfish or not, will ever regret that.

"If you had told me and I had asked you not to do anything would you have done it anyway?" She asks slowly, scared about the answer even if I'm sure she already knows what I'm going to say.

"I would have tried not to, I tried not to, I swear I tried to forget about it, not to look for him but I couldn't. So yes, I believe at some point I fear I would have acted on it even if you had asked me not to do it." She wants the truth, I will give her the truth even if that might cost me everything.

Her gaze which had been on me for that whole exchange falls down her hands. She looks pensive though as I expected not surprised. She asked that question just to correlate the answer she already had and now she was trying to figure out how to feel about it.

"Thank you, for being honest." She says, her voice small and her focus still on her hands.

"I don't want to lie to you, you deserve the truth and that's what I'm going to give you." Whatever the cost this time I won't hide.

Nodding as a response she plays with the cloth of her joggers and then, finally, she looks back at me. I can't tell what she is thinking but if she is still here, willing to listen, there's still hope.

"You said you figured out the reason why you did it. That you finally had an explanation worth my time. I would like you to tell me." This time her tone was confident, that hesitation leaving her instantly.

I would say if it surprises me but it doesn't, Mia can be the most amazing person I have ever met. She might appear as if she is too good sometimes, always trying to keep her composure and treat those around her with kindness but if I had learned something about her in all this time is that she is strongest than anyone and sometimes she seems to forget it but then, when she remembers, all that innocence, all that hesitation transforms into something powerful. She stands up for herself, bold and confident and that's probably the reason I'm so captivated by her because unlike me she has the ability both to let go when she needs to let go and fight when she needs to fight.