|95| The family

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay? I can take a few more days

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay? I can take a few more days." My dad stops at the door, looking back at me.

"I'm sure, I will be fine. You can't stop working because of me, your patients at the clinic need you." Handing his jacket I give him the best smile I can gather.

Since they told me about the dangers of my pregnancy and the health issues that it was causing I had to be in bed rest for like three weeks and my dad hasn't left my side for that whole time. And I appreciate it a lot, having him here, having his support meant a lot to me, and it still does but I can't keep him here forever, he has to work, a clinic to run.

"Will you call me if something happens? Anything."

"Of course, you will be the first to know but I will be fine Dad, I promise." Placing my hand over his shoulder I give him a soft tug and then a little push towards the hallway. "Go, I will be here when you get back, bored to the core."

"Fine, fine. I love you, pequeña. Rest okay? No harsh movements or heavy lifting." He smiles looking back at me before finally walking away.

"I love you too, Dad." I smile too and wave as I watch him walk away.

Closing the door behind him I turn around and walk to the kitchen to get something to eat. My appetite is still not the best but I'm forcing myself to do at least three meals per day, for my baby.

I went to the clinic last week, got another ultrasound and some more tests. My estrogen levels got a little better but my blood pressure is still too high. But what matters is that the baby is growing and a little faster than before, not at the rate it should yet, but it's something and I will take everything I can get.

Opening the fridge door I stare at the thousand of pre-made meals my dad made for me. All are categorized with Post-it notes. There's salmon with rice, soups, salads, my mom's special, carne guisada, which she taught my dad how to make back in the day, and tacos. Basically, there's a bit of everything. Even desserts, he made cheesecake and chocolate cake.

And I don't know how many pieces of chocolate cake I had in the last few days but definitely more than I should have. No regrets, though.

Deciding on the salmon I take the plastic Tupperware out and put it inside the microwave for about thirty seconds. My dad said that omega-3 helps lower high blood pressure and healthy fats are beneficial too since I need to gain some weight.

My phone vibrates over the counter and I turn around to check.

Dad: eat the salmon today, you need something heavy.

I smile to myself. Not even five minutes and he is already texting me.

Me: it's on the microwave already, stop thinking about me and focus on your patients.

Dad: don't forget about the cake for dessert.

Me: don't worry, I would never forget about the cake.