|87| The biggest mistake ever

Not even a day and I was already missing her like crazy, not having her with me felt wrong

Not even a day and I was already missing her like crazy, not having her with me felt wrong. She has been by my side every day for months, I grew used to her presence, her company. And I know I will see her in just a few hours but I still hate it, especially right now when everything is so fucking messy, and even though I know I can't protect her, or at least not the way Rick can.

She texted me about an hour ago, asking me for an opinion on what to wear, I told her to go with a suit, I have never seen her wearing one but in my opinion, suits exude confidence, and if people think you are confident then maybe you will able to believe it too.

And I knew I made the right choice when she texted me back with just a picture, showing me how she looked, she looked powerful. I wished she had let her hair down, I love her curls but that ponytail also fits her. Elegant and beautiful. To be fair she would look good in everything. She is just perfect.

I barely slept last night, feeling anxious about this whole situation, and as much as I wish I hadn't, I had a drink. Just one, one single glass, I knew I shouldn't have but I needed it. And it did help me with falling asleep at least until seven in the morning when I woke up to the harsh light coming through the blinds I forgot to close. I didn't mind that same light when I woke up with her by my side because I got to see her face, how her beautiful long lashes framed her eyes or how her freckles made different patterns around her skin, but when you are alone and all you see is an empty room it doesn't feel the same.

Rick called a few minutes after she texted, updating me about the situation and our plan. I should meet them at Mia's dad's house around three, then I will drive with her and Tomás, and Rick will follow right behind us. Mia doesn't know about this because we knew it would only make her more nervous but Rick and I put a few more men around just in case. There's another car and some men that would already be around the court building. Not as many as I would like but the business is not at its best moment and we are not only losing money but also men. We already lost a lot when Matteo got arrested, no one wanted to be involved in that mess, and some stayed but after the raid at Empire, we lost even more. Going out of the illegal part of the business meant losing a lot of money, and to some, it stopped being worth it. Just the most loyal ones stayed, and then almost everyone that worked at our clubs our restaurants, the legal part of the business.

"Are you ready, Mr. Russo?" Felix appears at my door.

"Just Carlos, please." Matteo and I have been telling him to call us by our names for years as he is practically family and sometimes he does but others he goes back to Mister. Old habits die hard, I guess. "But yes, I'm ready." There are still a few hours left for the trial but I decided I would go back to the city with spare time just in case. I will wait in the old apartment if I arrive too early. And well obviously I can't drive yet so Felix offered to drive me.

Smoothing the lapels of my suit jacket I give one last look at myself in the mirror. I went with a black suit instead of my characteristic navy blue one, I chose it by instinct and at first I even surprised myself, I'm not known for going out of my comfort zone often but then I remembered Mia's suit was also black and it all made sense. She is always in my mind, and a lot more than I initially thought.