|91| The life we could have had

A week later

A week later

I don't know how many hours of my life I have wasted staring at that stupid pre-paid phone for the last two weeks but most definitely a whole lot. Every morning I tell myself that today would be the day I finally go through it and every day I fail miserably, ending up simply charging it but never daring to go through it.

It's been a week since I came back from the hospital, and two weeks since I last saw her. And I thought everyone said that time heals but now I have learned that that saying is total bullshit, with each day that goes by my pain just grows bigger, and my longing for her more and more unbearable. The only good thing coming out of this whole thing is that I'm too tired to do anything meaning that my ribs have been healing nicely. And my physical pain has also been slowly disappearing but all the fucking pills I'm taking have probably paid a big part in that.

My days are simple, they consist of lying down on the sofa at the library, fighting myself not to call Mia, and trying to convince my stupid brain to finally check what's on that phone. And usually, all that comes hand in hand with a bottle of painkillers and a glass of whiskey. Danielle told me that I shouldn't mix alcohol with my medication and I tried to listen, I really did, but I lasted less than a week.

I think I understand why Matteo needed this shit now, everything feels a lot easier when you are slightly intoxicated.

How proud he would be of me if he saw me right now.

"Did you read or see the news?" Rick bursts inside the library, his phone in his hand.

"No, why? What happened?" I carefully sit up, pushing the pillow to the side to try and hide the bottle of pills the best way I can, leaving the glass of whiskey perfectly visible over the table on my right. I didn't expect him to barge in like this.

Thankfully he doesn't seem to notice or maybe he does and he just ignores it, handing me his phone and sitting right next to me. A little confused I look at the screen and read the title of the article he so eagerly wants me to see.

Mason Castillo, the professional dancer known to many as "the prodigy" sentenced to 12 years in prison for abusing three of his former partners.

What started as a report of rape that couldn't be proven later on in court ended up with Castillo sentenced to twelve years anyways.

Mark Grey, the New York attorney in charge of this case went far and beyond to try and find a way to put the man behind bars. That's how after a profound investigation he found three witnesses, precisely, three women who had previously dated Mason that were willing to tell their stories.

One of the women had not only been romantically involved with Castillo but had also been his dance partner for more than two years before they broke up without any explanation and she disappeared from the dancing world. Many speculations were made about this back in the day but we can be sure that no one expected this outcome.