|62| The hiding

"How is he?" I'm woken up by Danielle's voice at the other side of the door

"I don't know, I- he has been sleeping all day," Mia replies her voice so small.

"What about you? Are you okay?" Danielle asks knowing something is definitely wrong.

And for a few seconds, there's just silence, a silence that's then broken by soft cries. Cries that I know are hers and that makes everything I have done come at me at once. Like a thousand bullets going straight through my skin.

I caused this, my actions caused this. I left her, she asked me to stay and I left.

And now she is crying and it's all because of me.

I try to sit down on the bed and my whole body trembles. Everything is blurry but I do remember I did not only leave her when she begged me to stay but I also got drunk to the point that I have no idea how I got here.

Did she see me like this? God, please tell me she didn't.

"You are awake." I'm taken back to reality when Danielle enters my room.

Her face says it all.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, those words being all I can think about, my mouth feels cottony and my brain is barely functioning.

"Yeah, you should be." She walks closer and I notice how big her pregnant belly is already. It has grown so much since the last time.

Stopping next to my bed she carefully places her hand against my forehead and I try to remember something more about what happened after I drank half a bottle of bourbon but my brain isn't working. I just know what happened before that and the only thing I can gather right now is that I feel like I'm freezing but at the same time I'm sweating and that everything hurts.

"It doesn't look like you have a fever but you are slightly hot to the touch," Danielle says removing her hand from my forehead and giving me a glass of water that was just standing over my bedside table.

"Is she okay?" That's pretty much all I manage to say.

"No, she isn't." Her tone is cold, no sugar coating.

"She saw me like this didn't she?" I ask scared of an answer I already know.

She stares at me, quiet for a second. As if she were trying not to lose her shit.

"Saw you? She found you, got you home and took care of you all fucking night even after  everything you did." If looks could kill I would be six feet under.

And let's be honest I kind of deserve it.

"I have to apologize. Tell her how sorry I am." I say slowly, my own words hurting me more than hers.

"No, you need to wear off all the alcohol and leave her alone. That's what you have to do." She isn't exactly advising me it's more like an order.

God, what did I do? Why the fuck did I drink? Why?