|79| The broken

(Au

(Au. I will read this while listening to Broken by Isak Danielson)

"Here, I made you some coffee." Rick sits down beside me handing me a mug, the one I instantly recognize.

Carlos' black mug.

It's been like three hours and I can't stop thinking about him. I tried calling but obviously, he didn't pick up, then I thought that maybe he went to see Matteo but once I texted Danielle to check that option, she said he hadn't been there. After some time, Rick came up with the idea of calling Nathan, and finally, we got some pieces of information. Nathan said that Carlos had paid him a visit that lasted no longer than five minutes because Carlos wanted Nathan's help in dealing with Alessio - Rick had to fill me in about who the hell that man was - but Nathan declined and Carlos left.

Anyway, it's been hours since that happened. Where else would he go on Sunday morning?

"Mia?" Rick whispers my name trying to get my attention and that's when I notice I haven't taken the mug or even said thanks.

"I'm sorry, my mind won't stop wondering. Thank you for the coffee." I smile, but it doesn't reach my eyes. Once I finally take the mug, the hot beverage inside it instantly warmed my cold hands.

My body has been acting weird lately, the temperature inside the apartment is always the same yet sometimes I'm hot and sweating, and other times - like right now - I'm practically freezing. I should stop taking those damn pills.

"He will be back eventually." Rick has been trying to reassure me for the past few hours and even though I appreciate it I can tell that Carlos' behavior is as confusing to him as it is to me and that he has no idea what could happen next.

"What if he goes after Alessio himself? He isn't in the right state of mind he could do something stupid and then maybe..."

"Hey, he might not be in his best moment right now but Carlos is smart, he wouldn't go after Alessio by himself." His tone sounds a little more confident this time and I try my best to believe that he really won't do something as stupid as that.

"You should go and try to find him, I will be okay," I tell him with every ounce of confidence I have even though staying here alone, after everything that happened, is the last thing I want.

"Can't do that, he told me to look after you and there's no way I'm leaving you here alone after what happened last time. We will wait for him to come back, he has to eventually." Rick shakes his head a little at the same time he tries to sound hopeful, but the tone of his voice changes once it reaches the end of a sentence.

"What if I go with you, you could still keep me safe, and at the same time we-" I stop mid-sentence when I hear the dangling sound of keys coming from the other side of the door. My head snapped directly to the source of the noise. Rick's too.