|25| The reality of who we are

"What happened, why are you bleeding?" I ask sweeping some of the blood off his chin

"It's nothing, I fell." He says slowly his breathing still heavy.

He didn't fall and he knows that I know that but it's okay, even if he doesn't want to tell me I still won't leave him. I said I wouldn't go and I'm going to stick up to my word. And if he hasn't backed away from my touch yet it's because he doesn't want me to leave either.

"We both know you didn't fall." I stand up, and before going into the bathroom to take a towel I put both of his crutches against the bed.

Then taking the towel I soak it in cold water and get back to him. He looks defeated, down on the floor with a bloody nose that keeps leaving red-colored dots over the wood floors. I have never seen him so... miserable.

"I'm going to clean you up okay? And then I would love for you to tell me what happened." I say slowly bringing my free hand back to his face and making him look at me.

His blue eyes look different... the way he looks at me feels different but I can't really tell what he is trying to say. It's like a mixture of appreciation and regret.

"Okay." He whispers and I start to clean up around his nose and make sure it isn't broken.

You would have to fall in a pretty specific way for your nose to bleed like this and be this swollen. Clearly, someone hit him and whoever that was didn't hold on, they hit him hard. I'm surprised the nose isn't broken.

"I'm sorry I woke you." He speaks again, his breathing getting normal by the second.

"That's the last thing you should be worrying about." I shake my head as I clean up the last bit of blood. "Hold this under your nose for a second, it should stop bleeding soon." I hand him the towel and go back into the bathroom to take another so I can clean the floor. "You know, you are lucky it isn't broken. Whoever hit you has a good right hand." I say as I scrub off the blood from the wooden floor.

"You don't have to do that, I will do it tomorrow." He puts his hand over my thigh trying to stop me and the mere feeling of his hand against my skin makes me freeze on the spot.

"It's okay, I can do it." I shake my head trying to forget about how good his touch feels.

It feels the same as that day, the day I told him everything Mason had done to me while I lied over his leg and he held me. I could have stayed there for days, I was opening up about one of the hardest parts of my past and for once in my life, I wasn't scared. I felt safe and understood. He holds that much power over me.

"No, please stop." He tries again, his hand over my own. "You have done a lot already you shouldn't be doing this." He isn't talking about me scrubbing the floors anymore.

"I want to do it, Carlos." I keep scrubbing, letting him know that I'm not going anywhere.

It doesn't matter how hard it gets to remove the blood, I don't care. If I have to keep going for hours I will.