|85| The missing us

(Au

(Au. I think reading this while listening to Flawless by the neighborhood could work, daylight by David Kushner too)

A day before the trial

"Do you really have to go?" He asks as I put some clothes inside one of my black tote bags.

"Yes, this house is too far Carlos, and I can't be late. My father's apartment is practically next to court so if there's traffic I can walk there, it's so much easier." I explain now moving towards the bathroom.

I decided that I should stay at my dad's today since the trial is going to happen tomorrow, it's in the afternoon so we should be fine but this house is like an hour away on a good traffic day and if something happens I won't be on time which can not happen on this situation. Sure I could always leave early but I don't want to hang around and wait for hours, just thinking about it gives me anxiety. And staying at my dad's house just brings me some comfort, like the good old days.

"I don't like the idea of not having you here, you will be unprotected." He mutters following right behind me.

"I won't be unprotected, Rick is coming with me, remember?" I open the drawer and take out only what it's strictly necessary. Mainly my moisturizer and everyday makeup stuff.

Rick said he would come with me and stay at my dad's too just in case. And not gonna lie I'm glad he offered because I feel a lot safer with him around, I don't like the idea of being alone anymore after what happened last time.

"Remind me why can't I just go with you."

"It's not that you can't or that I don't want you to Carlos, it's just a little too much right now, the last thing I need is my father losing his shit on you."

My dad still knows very little about the situation we are in but if Carlos comes with me I know he will find a way to blame him for everything and neither one of us needs that right now. I have to focus on the trial. Mark said that Mason's lawyer is one of the big sharks and that he will go all in, no matter who he hurts in the process. So I really need to be in my best state of mind. Mason can't win. Not this time.

"I can talk with your dad, or we could stay at the apartment for a day. We should be fine there if it's just a day." He keeps trying to convince me while I take my toothbrush off its holder.

Not going to lie, as bad as it sounds, I'm surprised he cares this much. This conversation alone is way more than we have talked on the last few days, I didn't think me being away for a few hours would mean so much to him. We have barely seen each other lately if not in bed or the kitchen. Well, we did have a moment yesterday, by the fountain, one I really appreciated but it didn't last long. We jumped back into reality the moment Felix called us for dinner.

"You can stay at the apartment if you want, that way you will be closer too but I really wanna stay with my dad, I hope you understand." This time I do look at him but I don't stop my wandering.