|73| The lies

(Au

(Au. I would read this while listening to Leaving tonight by the neighbourhood, at least after the little jump)

Going through the hospital doors I stop the first person I see who looks to work here and ask where I could find my brother. Apparently, they put him in a secluded area they use for cases like this one. He is considered a high-profile criminal, on 24/7 watch due to the probability of him trying to break out.

Fucking bullshit.

He isn't a damn serial killer for the love of god.

"Carlos Russo, I'm his brother. Nathan Porter, the FBI agent who was in charge of his case said I could visit." I show my ID to the police officer next to Matteo's door before he asks me himself.

Oh, and Nathan didn't say shit but I'm guessing using his name will make everything a lot easier.

"You will have to wait until his wife gets out." The man says.

So Danielle is here, they did tell her. It wasn't a misunderstanding... why the fuck wouldn't she tell me?

"Carlos," Danielle mutters in shock when she suddenly opens the door and finds me standing here.

"We will talk later, I have to see him," I say coldly, pushing the door open and moving past her.

"Wait, Carlos, you shouldn't see him like this before knowing what-"

"God," I whisper looking down at Matteo.

He has bandages all around his hands, shoulders, and face too. His eyes look red and swollen, barely open as he stares at me blankly. I don't think he can even tell it's me. He seems gone.

"It's not as bad as it looks like," Danielle says softly and I finally give her my attention.

"Oh, is it?" I spit out instantly regretting when I notice how awfully tired she looks.

She has her hands around her very pregnant belly and in her cheeks, I can still see the path the tears she cried run through. She looks exhausted, actually destroyed would be more accurate.

"One broken rib, another perforated. Broken nose, dislocated shoulder, and also a few fingers on his right hand. Several lacerations on the face but they did a CT and he doesn't seem to have any concussion. He is out because of the morphine." She explains but just looks between Matteo and her belly.

I walk closer to Matteo's bed noticing the needle on his arm and the tube going up towards a transparent bag.

"'Morphine, really? He has been clean for months." I look at her but not once she looks at me.

"That's all you care about?" She snaps back at me still focusing all her attention on Matteo.

"Don't act all innocent now, you know damn well why I'm angry. Why the fuck didn't you tell me what happened to him the moment they called you?" I ask her, leaving Matteo's bed behind and moving closer to where she is standing.