|13| The hunt

The last session wasn't as bad as the first one because we barely did anything, Mia said she didn't want to burn me out since today's session with Hunter is important

The last session wasn't as bad as the first one because we barely did anything, Mia said she didn't want to burn me out since today's session with Hunter is important. That's why we just practiced a little with the crutches Tomás brought over after she came back from shopping and called it a day.

She also looked a little nervous when we had breakfast together that morning but I didn't give it much importance since the day before she had opened up about her past and I guessed that was the reason for her unusual awkwardness. We both had shared stuff, the normal thing to do if you spend this much time with someone but I understand is difficult for her since technically she isn't supposed to share unnecessary information with patients and professionalism is important to her.

I'm not much of sharing either but something about her makes it easy and even though we might just be a patient and a nurse now we both knew each other before this. We know about certain parts of our past, traumas that marked us, or our families. So it's hard to act indifferent when you already know pieces of the deepest side of someone and also relate to them. We could still be professional as acquaintances, the new line can be drawn there.

"Hunter will be here in a few minutes do you need help with anything?" Mia asks through the door as I finish up changing into a shirt and some short joggers. According to her I should be as comfortable as possible.

"Need help moving to the wheelchair," I reply.

"Of course." She gets inside, smiling as always, and helps me down to the chair.

"Anything I should know about this man before he gets here?" I haven't asked or researched anything about him, which is weird of me because that's usually the first thing I do when someone is introduced to my life but I have been too occupied with trying to help Matteo. And Tomás and Mia know him so I'm guessing he is a good one.

"He is really nice, a good professional. A little strict but he won't push you too hard." She says while getting some stuff ready for the therapy session.

"That's it? He is nice and professional?" I'm used to getting a whole biography of their life so this doesn't give me much time to work with but she probably isn't used to that.

"If you want me to describe him in detail I will try but I don't know if that would be any useful for your situation." She laughs softly.

"It's okay I will work as I go." I shrug my shoulders and stare at her as she moves around the room making sure everything is set and perfect.

My leg has been hurting a little more than usual these last few days but so far I had been able to hide it from her. Taking more painkillers would mean risking getting accustomed to a higher dose and that's the first step into addiction, something I don't want.

"Don't scare him away please, we need him." She looks back at me with a soft smile and I try to forget about the pain.

"Me? Why would you say that? I'm the nicest guy to ever exist." I give her a small smirk.