|37| The not giving up

Taking my phone after checking the last message Danielle sent me saying she was waiting for me in front of the garage I put it inside my pants pocket and leave the flat to go to the elevator

I sent a text to Mia too, yesterday, apologizing again and saying that I understand she needs time but that when she feels ready and if she allows me to it I would like to explain myself. I checked my phone every hour to see if she answered but the message was left unopened.

"Hey, need help?" Danielle asks as soon as I get out of the building.

"No, don't worry. I got it, thank you." I shake my head and move towards the car.

Opening the back door I leave the crutches there and then get inside in the front. Adjusting my leg that wouldn't stop hurting since yesterday I try to find the most comfortable position but as expected there's none.

"Where's Mia? I thought she would come with you." Danni asks as she puts on her belt making sure it's right above her pregnant belly.

Just her name being mentioned feels like a stab going through my heart but I try to act as composed as possible.

"She was occupied." Vague but enough.

"Oh, well okay." She says as she studies my face noticing something is definitely up. "Your leg okay? I have some ibuprofen in my bag, won't do much but it's better than nothing." Thankfully she changes themes.

"I'm fine, thank you." I put my seatbelt on and Danielle nods starting the car and driving off.

I don't really know what to say so I just stay silent looking down at my phone every few minutes. I can feel Danielle watching me from time to time and fighting the urge to ask what's going on with me. It's when I notice her tapping the wheel with her fingertips that I know the question is coming so I speak up instead.

"Hey it's-" She tries.

"Matteo told me you already got the stuff I bought you, were you able to build up the crib?" I speak over her and watch as her face changes from confusion to understanding.

She suspected something was wrong now she knows for sure. That wasn't subtle on the slightest.

"Yeah, Lily still hasn't moved out so she helped me. It's beautiful, love the finish of the wood. You good a good taste." I'm not sure why she lets it go but I'm glad she does.

"You sure? You could always change it if you don't like it." I add looking directly at the road.

"I'm sure, it fits the room perfectly. And thank you again, you didn't have to buy me anything." She says as she keeps on tapping the wheel.

"I thought you wouldn't have much time to look for stuff and I needed to get my head out of work so it was no bother." I keep talking so she doesn't have room to ask.

"I didn't think you would be the type to look for baby stuff when needing a distraction." She laughs a little and it's like I'm seeing Mia doing the same thing when she caught me on my computer that day.