|78| The last resort

"I'm sorry, God- I'm so sorry," I mutter giving a step back and putting my hands in front of me

"I'm sorry, God- I'm so sorry," I mutter giving a step back and putting my hands in front of me. The guilt eating me alive as I look at her up and down trying to make sure she is alright.

"It's okay," she whispers slowly but all I can notice is the tremble of her voice, her shaky hands, and the look of fear on her face.

A look I wished I had never had to see on her. Even less if caused by me.

"Are you- scared of me?" I ask trying not to get to conclusions before hearing the answer. "I would never put a hand on you, never. I would rather die. You know that right?" My voice breaks a little all the emotions I have been trying to suppress coming at me all at once.

She means everything to me, and even though I might suck at expressing it I would never dare to touch her like that. It would fucking kill me... she knows that right? She has too.

"Of course I know, it was nothing more than a reflex, I promise." She gives a step closer in my direction and I freeze when I feel her delicate hand over my upper arm. "I know you would never hurt me." She smiles through the pain, the pain I know I caused, and watching her like this, knowing it's all my fault feels like getting stabbed right through the heart. "Carlos?" She whispers my name but I can't get myself to react, my brain just screams at me to hide, to run. To do what I know best.

So that's exactly what I do.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper before giving a step back, taking my half-broken phone from the desk, and turning around to leave.

"What are you doing? Where are you going?" She asks and I hear the panic in her voice as she follows me.

"Rick will be here in a minute, I have to go. Have your bags ready for when I'm back." That's all I manage to say knowing that if I look back, if I look at her and see that pain in her eyes again a part of me will die right here and right now.

"Carlos, please stop. You can't keep doing this, you can't keep running away from me!" She begs and I swear I can hear my heart breaking into a little thousand pieces I will probably never be able to put back together.

"I'm sorry," I repeat, a single tear falling down my face as I get out of the apartment and Rick gets in.

He doesn't stop me, he knows me too well to think that would work, he just goes to her and I walk as fast as I can to try and get away from her awfully painful cries even if all I wish I could do is hug her, tell her that everything will be okay and that the pain will be over soon.

"I'm sorry, honey." That's the only thing I can hear him say before getting inside the elevator and letting myself slide down to the floor once I press the button. My hands against my knees and my face between my thighs, trying not to break down in tears.

___

I knock on his apartment door, knowing that I'm crossing more than one line but I don't know what to do anymore. And as much as I hate this, he is all I got. He is my last chance to do this the right way.