|5| The two steps back

"Feeling any better?" I ask him with my eyes still closed, feeling the rain

"A little actually." He admits taking me by surprise.

I expected him to say some of his characteristic asshole remarks like "Not really, you said it was supposed to be a warm sunny day" but he actually admitted having a great time. Maybe under all that jackass exterior, there's a good kind man after all.

"Is this really happening? Did Mia Rodríguez really get the one and only Carlos Russo to admit he is having fun out of that room?" I decide to squeeze out every last bit of credit over this accomplishment.

"Don't make me take it back." He replies with a straight face but I know he isn't serious. Not this time at least.

"You can't, what's said it's said." I stand up and go behind the chair. "Hate to end your fun but we should get back inside so I can check your leg, we wouldn't want you getting worst because of some rain." I push him towards the elevator.

"Works for me though I want to shower first, now that it's probably already wet I'm going to take full advantage." He agrees as he presses the button.

"Good idea, then I won't have to change your bandages twice," I say with a smile he can't see while we get down to the house.

Once we reach our floor I get inside and push him to the bathroom leaving a trail of water that I will have to take care of later.

"Need help?" I ask him before leaving again.

"I'm not invalid." He says without a hint of humor, going back to his usual asshole self.

His good mood doesn't even last half a day apparently.

"I know," I reply with a straight face. "Shout my name if you need me." I get out and close the door behind me.

At this point I have learnt to understand his never stopping commentary. Most of the time they don't mean anything, it's just him trying to bother me. At first it worked but now I know the best way to react to them is replying with the same attitude. He just wants something to distract himself from his situation. And I'm the closest target.

Going to my room I get some dry clothes for myself and change, I also do a mental note about bringing more comfortable pieces. Then I take a cloth and make sure to dry the trail of water we left behind so no one slips by accident. By no one I mean my clumsy self. Once that's done I go to check what's on the fridge and start dinner.

I still didn't call Matteo about the cook he offered. Doing it myself gave me something to do apart from taking care of Carlos and sometimes I really needed that distraction. Cooking is like my safe haven.

Finishing up with the sandwiches I search for a sticky note and write down 'buy groceries' and stick it on the fridge. We can't live on sandwiches forever.