|6| The help

The next morning I take my sweet time making breakfast

The next morning I take my sweet time making breakfast. Not ready to face him after what I said to him yesterday. Even if I knew it wasn't bad and he really needed to hear that I'm sure he didn't like it one bit.

Asking for help is never easy, I know it well because I went through something like that not long ago. You think you have everything under control, that you don't need anyone because you are strong enough.

And when someone extends their hand to help you up you act as if you hadn't seen it and try to stand up on your own. But we all need help sometimes and it's when you start to understand it that you get better.

So I won't stop until he understands it.

Putting some french toast over the tray and a coffee I go up to his room.

"Carlos? I brought you breakfast can I come in?" I knock on the door to the best of my ability without letting go of the tray.

Waiting for an answer that doesn't come I notice that I can't hear the sound of the news on tv. He usually watches them in the morning while having breakfast. But this time it's pure silence.

"Carlos?" I knock again but he still doesn't reply. Maybe he is still sleeping but he usually wakes up around this time. "I'm going in, just to make sure everything is okay," I say as I open the door carefully.

To my surprise he is awake. Resting on the bed and watching something on his phone. Which means that he didn't answer because he simply felt like it. I knew he would be upset because of what happened yesterday. Embarrassed that I saw him that way and probably angry about what I said. But I thought he would at least behave as the adult he is.

"Could have answered me back, I thought something might be wrong," I say as calmly as possible and put the food on the table next to his bed.

Once again he doesn't speak, just stares at his phone. Whatever he is watching must be so entertaining.

"Fine, I will go, eat your food at least." I turn around and go towards the door.

"Can you help me remove the bandages?" His sudden and unexpected question makes me stop right in my tracks.

"What?" I turn around a little confused.

"My bandages, I would like to see my leg." He repeats, finally looking at me with a look I hadn't seen before.

I find myself staring at him, still trying to figure out if he is messing with me or is actually serious.

"Yesterday, you said that we all need help sometimes, well, I'm asking now. Could you help me?" He repeats as if he knew I was having trouble believing it.

"Of course." I finally get myself out of the shock and get close to him. "How do you want to do it?"

He looks down at his legs and then back at me. Probably trying to figure out the best way to do this. But I can tell he is having a hard time deciding. Mostly because we both know there's no best way to do this.