|24| The fear of failure

A few days later

A few days later

(An: I wrote this whole chapter listening to sweater weather and I feel like it makes it sm better so there it is)

"Oh hey, finally done with work? Want something some dinner? I just finished up making some pasta for myself but we can share." Mia asks when I get to the kitchen. The smallest of smiles adorning her face.

"No, I'm okay don't worry. Just came here to get a water bottle. I have some stuff to do but have a nice dinner." I say in the most monotonous way possible as I take the bottle and stroll away.

"Mmm okay then." She replies softly, and before disappearing I get to watch the confusion on her face as she looks down at her food.

Every cell in my body wants to turn around and sit with her, have dinner as we used to do. Go back into our little routine but I can't, no yet. So I leave, as hard as that is, before I say something I shouldn't say.

If it's been weird between us lately it's because of me and it's not that I'm purposely trying to make her uncomfortable it's simply that I don't know what to say to her. And not just because of how hard these last few weeks have been it's because I'm doing something I shouldn't be doing. I'm trying to find him, or maybe I should say I was because I found him already.

When she told me about what happened I knew there was no way I could let him go unpunished. What he made her go through- no one should go through that, especially not her. But then she said that who he was didn't matter and that she just shared her story because she trusted me not because she needed someone to fight for her so I resisted, I tried to forget about it, I really did. I wanted to be there for her, to listen and do as she wanted.

But every time she looked at me, I felt rage, and not because of her not telling me his name or because of what he did but because I felt as if I was failing her. She was there for me, every second of the day, doing everything she could do to help and I couldn't do anything for her.

I couldn't protect her. It was too late to protect her, the damage was already done but I could do something. I could avenge her, make him pay for everything he did to her. But she didn't want that. So I told myself, I convinced myself that it wouldn't try to find him, that I would respect her wishes. That his name didn't matter. I repeated those words every fucking day, every night. It didn't work.

That's why a few days ago I called Rick and told him to find him. And I didn't tell her because she didn't have to know (she deserved to know but I feared she will hate me forever) so by not telling her I protected myself from the reality of the situation.

Rick found him fast and for a while, his file, everything he was, everything he had done had been waiting to be opened. And I knew that if I opened it there wouldn't be a way back, once I knew who he was I would go after him. I already had a plan, I had it all, I just needed a name.