|77| The cutting off

(An

(An. I would recommend reading this while listening to Somebody that I used to know by Gotye.)

And he is the only person who could have taken them.

I think about every possible way I could affront this situation but they all feel wrong, if I confront him about this we will probably end up fighting but if I don't, if I act like nothing has happened then I'm just accepting that he is using drugs. So I do the only thing I can think of and take my phone to call the one person I believe could give me the answer I need.

"Hey, everything okay? Have you talked with Carlos about visiting Matteo? They are moving him tomorrow morning, really early so last opportunity." Danielle says her tone quiet. "Sorry I'm at the hospital, he is sleeping." She explains.

"I have, actually that's one of the reasons I'm calling. And don't know how to say this so I'm just going to let it out, I'm worried about Carlos. He has been acting really weird since- since Matteo's thing and I don't know how to help, he isn't talking to me, he isn't talking to anyone really, not even Rick, he won't eat or sleep either and I have suspicions he might be using." I blur out not even giving her a second to get ready.

"Okay, wow. Wait." She whispers and I hear some steps and a door closing. "Okay, I can talk freely now. What makes you think he is using? That doesn't sound like him."

"I know it doesn't but some painkillers are missing, opioids and I know they were in my bag, he is the only person who could have taken them, and the way he has been acting... the effects they would cause match. He doesn't know what day it is, he swears he has told me stuff that he hasn't. He looks so confused and I-" my voice breaks as I feel all the emotions I have been trying to keep at bay come all at me at once.

"Hey, everything will be okay. Breathe, Mia. We will figure this out, first, you have to make sure that the pills are actually missing, look around once more, and if they are truly gone you have to confront him. I know it doesn't sound ideal but if he is using, stopping it as soon as possible is really important." Her voice is calm and it helps me relax a bit.

"Okay, I'm going to look around the room," I tell her and start my little search around every corner I could have left them in but as suspected there's nothing. "They are missing."

"Okay then, go get him and explain the situation, ask if he saw them or took them. He won't like it, I know, but this is the only way to help. I did the same with Matteo. If he did take them, ask how many he took and for how long he has been doing it. If it has been for just a few days and not more than two it should be fine, just tell him to give them back and not to drink or take anything else for a little while." She explains carefully. "If it's worst than that call me again and we will figure something out, I would even talk with him myself if you prefer."

"Okay, I will ask him." I try to sound as confident as possible but nothing in me is remotely ready for what I'm about to do.

"It's hard, and I'm sorry you have to do this but if he is using you have to stop it before it's too late." Her tone changes on those last few words hinting how worried she actually is about this.