|96| The last move

"Sir, are you sure this is the right address?" The taxi driver turns around, looking confused as to why are we in the middle of nowhere

"I am, you can leave." I hand him a hundred dollars and get out of the car as fast as my body allows me to.

The image of the broken door and the trail of blood at Mia's house hasn't stopped spinning in my head, and every time I called her, her dad, or Rick it just got worse because I couldn't reach anyone. Sometimes I would see her there, lying lifeless on the floor, others I would see her begging me for help, and the worst one was when it was her holding my body while I was the one to bleed out. My mind was playing sick games with me at the worst moment.

As soon as I hear the car driving away I start my way into the single small metal building ahead of me. I'm at an abandoned construction site, there's nothing but a road, some trees, old machinery, and the metal cube in the middle.

This is the place Matteo got arrested that day. This is where his life changed and I'm guessing the place where my life will change too.

Maybe it won't just change but end, because if my father, or whoever he is, has done something to her I would never be able to forgive myself. I wouldn't be able to live in a world without her, she is my everything. She is the one good and beautiful thing I have left in this misery I call life.

If she dies, I die.

With every step I take, the more anxious I get and I can feel my heart beating faster against my chest. I feel like there's no oxygen left, like I'm underwater and no breathing technique will help. All I can think about is her, my body screams for her, she is my safe haven, and all I have done was put her in danger. If only I had let her go sooner. Things would be a lot different...

Reaching for the door handle I pray to whatever is up there that I'm not too late and she is still alive. I would give my father everything he wants just to let her go, everything. The business, the house...

My life.

And when the cold metal meets my burning skin and I open the door to what might change it all forever I'm surprised to find it empty. There's barely any light and the only thing inside the four silver-coloured walls is a table and a computer.

She isn't here and neither is he.

The pre-paid phone starts to ring again and I slowly reach for it inside my pocket, my hand shaking.

"Where is she?" That's the first thing I ask the moment I accept the call.

"You came alone, I always thought Matteo was smarter but he had always been gullible, I knew him falling for a woman and leaving everything behind was an option, but you? I thought that after your wife died you would finally give up on love, and focus on what truly mattered. I guess I overestimated you... but truth be told, I should have known, if my life were as miserable as yours I would also enjoy a young woman warming up my bed." I try to ignore everything he is saying, not let his words affect me.