|93| The truth behind the words

(An

(An. Reading while listening to Telephones by Vacations fits pretty good, I wrote it will listening to it)

I wake up to the loud sound of someone banging on the main door of my father's apartment. It's the middle of the night which adds to the fear that quickly found its way into my body paralyzing me on the spot. In those short moments when the noise stops I can hear my heartbeats, and I have a feeling that every new beat is faster than the previous one while my hands shake without control.

Slowly looking to the side I reach for my phone and tap the screen with my shaky finger. Four in the morning. I know it's not my dad, he's working a night shift, won't be back until six and even if he were to get here earlier he has his keys or if he didn't have I doubt that he'd be banging on the door like a maniac.

Maybe I am imagining this? Maybe I'm having a nightmare and that door isn't actually-

"Mia!" It's when I hear his voice calling my name followed by another bang that I realize I'm not dreaming but I wish I was. "Please baby, open the door," Carlos shouts from the hallway as he continually hits the door.

Taking a deep breath, I think of my options, I could call my dad and tell him to get here so he can make Carlos leave, I could act like I'm still sleeping and hope he will give up before some neighbor calls the police on him, or...

I could get up, walk to that door and face him.

Reaching for my phone once again this time I unlock it, and search for my father's contact but as hard as I want to I can't get myself to click it.

"Mia! Please!" He isn't giving up, and every time he says my name the pain in my heart just grows bigger but for some reason -one I don't quite understand- instead of hiding I find myself getting up from the bed, sliding into one of Carlos' black hoodies, and leaving the room, carefully making my way to the entrance.

"I know you are in there, just- please open the door, give me a second to explain." He isn't sober. Firstly, because a sober Carlos would never come banging at my door at four in the morning, and secondly because his words are sort of slurred making it kind of difficult to understand what he is saying.

My steps turn quieter the closer I get to the door until I end up tiptoeing since the battle I'm having against myself about whether to open that door or not isn't over yet. There's one part of me telling me to stop, to run back into my bedroom and leave him there, and there's the other telling me to open the damn door because he is clearly not okay.

"Baby, I'm begging you, please." The bang that follows that phrase is a lot weaker and it sounds as if he has just rested his head against the door. "Mia..."

I try not to let his words affect me, specifically, I try to stop myself from feeling the butterflies I always used to feel when he called me baby. But that's of no use because Carlos' words will always affect me, he will always affect me. The power he holds over me is way too strong for me to keep it at bay.