|35| The accusations

I had no other place to go but the clinic, my father wasn't home and I didn't want to be alone, I couldn't face the reality of what happened just yet

I had no other place to go but the clinic, my father wasn't home and I didn't want to be alone, I couldn't face the reality of what happened just yet. I simply needed to get out of there and keep myself occupied. If I had stayed I would have lost it, I would get mad at him and I didn't want that... I still don't, I know he didn't mean to hurt me but the situation is not easy.

"Mia?" I hear my dad calling me from behind while I put the last pack of bandages over the cart. "What are you doing here? Is everything okay?"

I didn't even call him to tell him I was coming. That would come with too many questions I don't wanna answer yet so I thought I could just get stuff done around here and hope he would be too occupied to notice.

"Yeah, everything's fine." I turn around slowly.

He can tell I'm lying of course I'm not fine, who would be?

"Let's go to my office." He says walking towards me and putting his hand on my upper back.

"Okay." I nod and let him guide me.

As if on autopilot I walk through the blinding white-painted hallways down to his office and once there he closes the door behind us and points to the sofa so we both can sit.

"Mia honey, did something else happen? Did someone call you already?" He asks slowly.

But I just stare at him not having anything close to an answer. What am I supposed to say? That I'm this miserable not because my abusive ex is going to prison but because the man I shouldn't but I'm definitely falling for just told me he is the one behind this? That if I'm utterly lost it's because I figured out he did that the same night we slept together for the first time. And that if I'm dying inside it's because I left him even when I said I wouldn't do that? How do I even explain that, how?

"Come here, it's okay honey. You will be okay." He whispers, hugging me.

And it's when he says those words and I feel his arms around me that I notice I have started crying. Tears running down my face accompanied but quiet unstoppable sobs.

"Shhh, it will be okay. I'm here." He caresses my back in delicate short strokes. "Let it out."

I can't stop, for a few very long minutes I cry and cry, buried into my dad's chest. Seeking that comfort he can only give me, that from a father. There's nothing like it and I don't know what I would do without it, without him.

"I'm sorry... you are supposed to be working." I sniff finally letting go of him.

"No, I'm right where I'm supposed to be. Don't apologize chiquita." My heart jumps inside my chest, my mom used to call me that. (Little one.)

"Mom used to call me that," I say it smiling slightly.

"I know, you were always her little one." He smiles too.