|49| The meeting

After Mia got the basic information she would need about Mason's case and set up some meetings with Mark we finally left his office

After Mia got the basic information she would need about Mason's case and set up some meetings with Mark we finally left his office. And since Mia drove here and obviously I can't take a car just yet I told her I would ask for a taxi to get to my meeting with Nathan.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you? I know it's a private meeting but I can wait downstairs." Mia tries once again.

"I'm sure. I will grab a taxi, you should get home and rest. Today was hectic enough." I rest myself against the door.

"What if something happens? If he doesn't want to cooperate or decides to go after you."
She is worried which makes sense since I haven't told her much about what I'm doing but I don't think it will be a good idea to share that I'm going to blackmail an FBI agent.

"I have something on him. If he wants to go after me I will go after him." I explain giving as much information as possible.

If something happens, if Nathan decides to go after me I don't want anything to link back to Mia. She doesn't deserve to be put in this mess. I appreciate her being here for me and I won't keep her in the dark about what I'm doing but I also won't share every detail, won't and can't. I promised myself I would protect her and this is the way.

"Be careful, I don't want anything happening to you." She looks directly at me her face serious.

"Worried about me?" I joke trying to ease up some tension.

"You know I am. I can't lose you, Carlos. I need you." She says and even though it's not the first time she tells me something like this I can't help but smile like an idiot.

The way she makes me feel is just... for the love of God I'm thirty-six not sixteen what is she doing to me?

"I will be okay. You won't lose me." I balance myself against the car and bend down to kiss her. "You won't get rid of me that easily, amor." (Love.)

Nothing will keep me away from her and not only because she asked me to but because I physically can't live without her. She is way too deep inside me, my brain, my heart, my soul. She has become a part of me. Without her by my side I wouldn't be able to keep going, a part of me will be missing.

And I wish I had the courage to tell her this.

"I will wait for you so we can have dinner together." She smiles softly and I stare at her mouth.

Her smile has become one of my favorite things, I figured it out the moment she smiled at me for the first time, or rather the moment when it was me who caused it.

I didn't know someone's smile could have as much power as hers has over me.

"I'm not sure how long I will take," I admit still against the car so I don't lose balance.

"It's okay, I will wait anyways." She looks behind me as if to make sure there's no one there and then whispers. "I will be waiting for you wearing that white set you love so much, maybe this time I can do a little show and then you can remove it from me." Her eyes meet mine.