|82| The fight for that someone

A few days later

A few days later

I watched her sleep in what used to be my bed, well I guess it is actually my bed once again, ours. We moved to the old house the day after we had that conversation in the kitchen. It felt weird at first, not only because that apartment had become a home, she had made it a home, but because being here, without Matteo, it didn't feel right.

It still doesn't.

She looks so small, lying in the middle of the mattress, her curls spread all over the pillows in the most beautiful of ways, she always sleeps like this if not in a loose bun, apparently, it helps to keep her curls from flattening or something. The satin sheets reach just above her hips, leaving the rest of her body covered by only one of my hoodies which at this point might just be hers. It looks way better on her anyways.

I couldn't sleep, it's been like this for the last few nights so I stayed awake, occupying myself and trying not to think about my father for as long as I could but at some point I always came to bed because I knew that if I didn't she wouldn't sleep either and I couldn't let that happen. Then, as soon as the sun rise again I would be back on my feet. Staring at her while she slept was also part of my routine, today I stayed doing that for a lot longer than usual.

We haven't really talked since that night, we act as if we had already said everything that needed to be said at that kitchen table, as if that had been enough when in reality there are a million things yet to say. Or at least I do have a million thoughts I have yet to put into words. Don't know about her.

Walking closer to the bed once again I gently caressed her cheek. Watching as her skin sparkled under the first rays of the morning sun, but I couldn't help but notice how different it looked from how it used to. A lot paler, beautiful still but not the same.

"I'm sorry baby, I truly am," I whispered a few of those thoughts I could actually put into words.

As much as I didn't want to I couldn't stop thinking that I was the main reason Mia had lost part of her light. She didn't smile the way she used to do anymore, the way when that single dimple would pop through on her cheek and her eyes will shine with happiness, or banter with me like always did before.

And it was all because of this, because of me. And deep down, deep down I knew she was aware too.

Walking away from the room I close the door behind me and move towards the stairs, stairs that are a fucking pain in my ass. Thankfully there are not many of them but it still takes me a good few minutes to get down. I haven't mastered the prosthetic yet.

When I get to the kitchen I find Rick already sitting on the island with a coffee in his hand. He moved in with us, it makes everything a lot easier.

"Can't sleep either, son?" He asks not turning around.

I'm not really sure when he started calling me son but I don't think I mind it.

"No, what's your excuse?" I make my way to the coffee machine, taking a mug from the cabinet right next to it.