|22| The plead

Three weeks later

Three weeks later

If I had known what Matteo was planning I would have tried to stop him. Or maybe that's what I like to say I would have done, trying to convince myself that all that has happened isn't my fault.

Turns out that the mother fucker had been working a deal with the FBI for weeks. And it wasn't a bad plan if I'm being honest, it could have worked if our father hadn't interfered.

He made sure to leave us all out of the mess Danielle, Miles, the men, and me. We would be free of charges if he turned himself in and gave enough evidence to take down Romano too. And he had worked hard on it, settled everything up to perfection, made an almost ideal plan. He would go to prison for five years and that would be all, but of course, nothing works the way we want it to work.

All because he came back, our father. To fuck us over once again. He had left when Matteo took over, and I always thought it was too good to be true so for years I lived my life in fear, waiting for him to come back.

It took me a decade to start believing that maybe it was actually over, that he had finally found someone else to abuse (selfish way of thinking I know but the truth nonetheless) that maybe we were finally free to live our lives however we wanted. Just Matteo and I, the way it was supposed to be.

If I could go back I would punch myself for being that stupid, for thinking that there was a future without my dad in it. I had never been so dumb, so naïve.

All it took was for him to get to Danielle, such a simple thing made Matteo's plan collapse like a house of cards. Everything he had worked for? Gone. The FBI was fast to make another offer, they will help him get Danielle back but he will have to hand himself in as any other criminal would, no five years deal, no nothing.

He didn't think about it twice, nothing means more to Matteo than her being safe. He would have given his life for hers if that's what it required.

And that's how we ended up in this position, him at the other side of the glass, waiting for a trial in which he could get sentenced to at least fifteen years (that's if he is lucky and they don't frame him with murder too) and me sitting on a metal chair drilled to the floor with a missing leg and no clue of how to keep going. Life really fucked us over.

"Me estás escuchando tan siquiera? No tenemos mucho tiempo y necesito que te encargues de bastantes cosas." Matteo's angry voice snaps me away from my thoughts. (Are you even listening? We don't have much time and I need you to do a bunch of stuff)

"Si, perdón. Me había distraído." I admit with an apologetic look. (Yes, sorry. I got distracted.)

"En principio todas las cuentas del Empire deberían estar en regla y la empresa a tú nombre y a el de Danni, eso os dará dinero suficiente para continuar mientras las cuentas estén congeladas por la investigación. Y cómo no me dejan hacer ningún tipo de transacción necesito que te encargues de pasarles el dinero a las hermanas de Miles." He continues listing everything that has to be done. (Supposedly all the Empire books should be in order and the business both in your name and Danni's. That should give you two enough money to continue while our accounts are frozen due to the investigation. And they won't let me do any transactions so I need you to make sure you are sending money to Miles' sisters.)