|21| The opening up

After Matteo leaves I take a few minutes to myself, sitting on the couch and trying to calm down, trying to figure out a way to fix this mess but I can't even think

After Matteo leaves I take a few minutes to myself, sitting on the couch and trying to calm down, trying to figure out a way to fix this mess but I can't even think. My mind is a mess filled with unanswered questions. So picking up my crutches I do the only I can think of, I go after her.

When I reach her room the door is not fully closed but the lights are off and since I don't want to barge in I decide to knock.

"Mia? Can I come in?" I ask, the door opening a little by the force of my knocking and letting me see her thanks to the light coming through from the hallway.

She is sitting by the bed with her head between her knees. Her hair down for the first time since she has been here and messy as if she had been running her hands through it repeatedly. She looks defeated, I have never seen here like this.

And when she doesn't reply I think that maybe leaving her alone is the right thing to do but when I'm about to close the door I hear her sob, it's a silent cry so silent that for a second I wonder if I had imagined it but then she does it again, this time it's louder and so painful that I know there's no way I'm leaving her.

"I hope you don't mind, I'm going in," I warn her before opening the door fully and moving closer to her.

Placing my crutches over the bed I use all my strength to get down next to her without falling to the side. It's doing this when I notice how exhausted I am and how much my lower legs and arms hurt but the only thing I care about right now is her.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask as I look at her, now it's the moonlight coming through the window that allows me to see her since my frame is blocking the light coming from the hallway.

I wait for an answer in silence but she doesn't reply she just keeps crying, hiding between her legs and arms and I don't know what to do. My heart breaks for her and her cries feel like stabs through my soul.

"Mia, look at me, please. I need to make sure you are okay." I whisper, practically begging.

And slowly, so slowly, she tilts her head to the side and I finally get to see her face or rather parts of it since strands of hair cover the majority.

Needing to see her properly, I dare to move my hand towards her face but instantly freeze when I witness her flinching. To respect her boundaries and already moving my hand back I'm surprised when her face moves in my direction as if she wants me to continue whatever I had planned. That's why, carefully, I push some of the loose curls behind her ear so I can look into her beautiful eyes.

"Danielle she... it didn't happen. Miles got to her on time." I say the only thing I think could make her feel a little better but exclude the dark part of that truth.

She simply nods, still crying and staring directly at me in the darkness. I wish I could turn on the lights to actually see her, see those eyes. To try and figure out a way to make it better.