|46| The worry

"Carlos I

"Carlos I... I know I don't have a say in this but are you sure this is the right thing to do?" I mutter slowly not sure if I should get into this.

"I have to find him, Mia, I can't let him go no after everything he has done." He answers confidently.

Too confidently. I thought I might be able to convince him, with the help of Danielle and Matteo. That we could talk him out of it but what if it's not possible? What if it's too late?

"I know he has hurt you, I know what he did to Danielle, to Miles, Matteo, and... to you but maybe, maybe you should let him go. Focus on your recovery and getting ahold of the business." I can't give this up without trying at least.

"Mia he, he destroyed my life, Matteo's life I can't leave it like this. I can't." He looks directly at me pain filling his eyes. "If I hadn't let him go the first time this wouldn't have happened and now, now I have to make it up."

He blames himself, he thinks it's his fault that all this happened...

"You couldn't have known, this is not your fault Carlos, nothing is your fault," I say even if I know he won't believe me.

"Are you sure? Because if I had killed him when I had the opportunity Miles would still be alive, I wouldn't be missing a leg and Matteo would still be free. I could have stopped all that, me. I could have but I didn't, I stupidly believed he would disappear." His voice breaks and my heart with it. "I won't make that mistake again."

"You wanted it to be over, you were young and looking out for you and Matteo. No one blames you for not going after him, you have had enough you deserved to move on. It isn't your fault, it never has been." I search for his hand through the table practically begging him to believe me.

"I have to end this Mia, I have to try if I don't I would never be able to rest in peace." He puts his hand over mine.

"Carlos..." I whisper.

"I wanted to tell you this because you deserve the truth and because even if wish you would stay by my side, I would understand if you want out, if you want nothing to be with this. I won't put you at risk. If you want to go you are free to do so." His grip over my hand tightens.

I told him to be honest with me and that's exactly what he is doing, he is telling me that if he does this, I might not be safe. This is what my father warned me about and though I'm aware the smart thing to do will be to take on his offer and leave I simply can't. I won't leave him, not when he will need me the most.

"I promised I would stay, that whatever you did I would stick by your side. I only asked you for your honesty in return and you are giving me that." Now it's me who looks directly at him. "I'm staying. No matter what you decide to do."

I don't want him to go after his father, I don't think it's a good idea but I can't leave him for it, he has a long way into full recovery and...well if I stay I might be able to convince him of letting his dad go.