|81| The apologies

"Hi," I whisper a little surprised at seeing him in the kitchen and not in his office or bed at this time of the day

"Oh, hey. How are you feeling? Any better?" He turns around to meet me while spreading some mayonnaise over a slice of bread.

"Much better." And it's true, that extra few hours of sleep and the protein bar helped way more than I thought they would. "What are you making at this hour?" I point at the various ingredients laying over the course.

"A sandwich, I wasn't sure when you were going to wake up so I was planning on putting it in the fridge so you could eat it whenever you wanted."

"You are making me a sandwich?" I ask pleasantly surprised even if he just said that's exactly what he is doing.

"I am. Ham, mayonnaise, tomato, and lettuce. My cooking skills might not be the best but I'm the king of sandwiches." He smiles proudly showing me the finished product.

And seeing his smile for the first time in forever feels like a pang through my heart. Both the good kind and the bad kind.

"It does look like a good sandwich." I can't help but smile a bit walking in his direction and taking the plate of his hands. "Wanna share? You haven't eaten much lately either."

"No, you eat it. I will make another one for myself later. Here, have this too." He pours me some water.

"Thank you." I take the glass my smile growing bigger until I remember we shouldn't be acting as if nothing has happened between us. There's too much stuff going on for that. "I think it's time for us to talk." No rodeos, I just say it, even if it's the middle of the night. We have to get this over with before we both decide to go back into hiding.

"Let's sit down." And to my surprise, he nods motioning for me to sit at the dining table.

And I do exactly as he says, first placing my food and water on the table before sitting down myself. He takes the chair in front of me, his hands resting on the table as he looks directly into my eyes. I haven't noticed until now how tired he looks, but it has to be around 2 am and he is still up so I guess it makes sense.

"So, you went to see Nathan." I'm the one to start before we change opinions and back down.

"I did, I went to ask for his help." He admits and I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to go ask for help to the man who put no other than his brother behind bars.

"What did you ask him to help you with?" I completely forget about the sandwich and how empty my stomach feels.

"I'm guessing Rick filled you up about who Alessio is." He states waiting patiently for me to answer.

"He did." That's all I dare to say, aware that what Alessio did went much deeper than I could have imagined. Rick told me the basics, he skipped most of what happened that night but it was pretty easy to figure out that Alessio was the man who drugged Carlos in that club.