|98| The letters

One month and a half later

That afternoon he came to see me at the clinic keeps repeating in my head every single day without a miss. I knew something had happened the moment I saw him there, and I knew it was something big because of the way he stared at me, the way he was so sure there wasn't any hope for him anymore it was heartbreaking at last.

And when he told me he loved us, me and our baby, I was so close to forgetting everything but then he mentioned how our kid deserved better and as much as I wanted to stop him from leaving the room, as much as I wanted to ignore that, deep down I knew that he was right.

I want my little girl to have a dad, of course I do, and I want it to be Carlos but he is right, he can't be that man right now, first he needs to focus on himself so, I let him go... I allowed him to heal. I asked him to do it. What I didn't expect was that he would completely disappear.

It's been almost two months, two months and no one has heard anything about him. Danielle had to be the one to fill me in about what had happened that day. And to say I was shocked would be an understatement. He had found Lorenzo, and not just that, but he had won against him. The man who's been making his and Matteo's life hell since they were kids is finally in prison. Paying for all crimes he committed and to top it off, he is also dying.

I thought now when it was all over, Carlos could finally heal, seek help, and maybe with time he could go back to being the man I fell in love with, the same man our daughter would need. I know he could be an amazing father, the best, but he doesn't seem to see it and until he does, there's nothing I can do to help but try to remind him because if he doesn't get better, I can't allow him to be there for our girl. Protecting her comes first.

But that didn't mean I would give up on him so for weeks I texted him every few days, I tried to convince him to come with me to an ultrasound so he could see our baby but he never replied, not once. He simply vanished and I didn't know what to think. Had he truly given up on us? On our baby? It doesn't seem like a thing he would do, family is the most important thing to him.

Danielle tried to reach him when I told her how worried I was, and apparently, he sent her a very vague message saying that he would be okay and that we shouldn't worry but after that, he hasn't said anything else. Everyone tried to reach him again but nothing, he just vanished but it seemed like a choice so there was nothing we could do but to give him space. And doing that, letting him go was a lot harder than I thought, every night I went to sleep feeling like a part of me was missing, but deep down I knew that this was the right thing to do.

"Nothing?" Rick asks and that's when I notice that I have been staring at my chat with Carlos on my phone for at least ten minutes. My last message was "Just tell me if you are okay, please."