|9| The first session

"That's not fair, I haven't won once, are you a master at poker and you didn't tell me?" Mia laughs as she throws her cards into the table

We have been playing for two hours now, after the conversation we had we needed the distraction. I never talk about what happened that night or about my mother, not even with Matteo. When she died a part of us died with her too, no one dared to mention her. She lived in our minds and hearts and that pain was more than enough. But Mia went through something similar, she gets that pain and it's easier to open up to a person as broken as you.

"I told you, Matteo loves these kind of games. We played often." I get out of my thoughts and focus back on her, wondering for how long I will be able to distract her.

She starts to tidy up the cards and I know what's coming. "This has been fun but we should start your first physical therapy session."

"Thought I would be able to distract you a little longer." I admit helping her with the cards.

"I wish we could stay here but we have to do this, but don't worry it will be fine, I will go easy on you." She gives me on of her signature smiles, her one dimple showing through once again.

"The faster we end this torture the better I guess." I get comfortable over my chair and she guides us back to the elevator and the house.

"Hunter gave me something to start with that's easy enough, but I have been meaning to ask you if you will be okay with him coming from time to time, so we have an idea about if what we are doing is getting us somewhere." She says carefully as we both reach my room.

"If it's really necessary I will accept it." No need to make this any harder.

"Thank you, I think once every few days should be enough, mostly at the beginning." She pushes me to the wall and turns me around so I face her.

Getting down to her knees she removes my slipper and then focuses on my right leg. Probably thinking about how to approach this.

I give her a few seconds so she can figure it out but she just tilts her head to the side, purses her lips in concentration and roams her brown eyes up and down my leg. Lose strands of her chocolate colored hair that's always up in a bun fall around her face and she tucks them behind her ear.

"You have no idea of where to start have you?" I fight the smile forming on my lips.

"Honestly, not really no." She looks at me with that same smile from before but this time I also catch insecurity in her gaze. "But you know what? I will wing it, let me take my notes."

"Wing it?" I almost laugh. "I'm sitting here with a missing leg, anxious as fuck for whatever it's going to happen and you are gonna wing it?" If she was any other person I would probably be mad but she makes it hard to do that.

"I'm sorry, that was so unprofessional I'm- I'm just nervous I'm gonna fuck it up." She knows I'm not angry but still apologizes.

"It's fine, go ahead. Wing it. The leg is already gone, I'm sure there's no much you could do to it." I joke trying to ease off her nerves.