|19| The night

After having something to eat we went to his room to get everything ready so he could try to walk around with crutches for the first time

His strength seems to be getting a lot better so there's really no point in delaying it. If he feels like he is ready I won't be the one stopping him, so moving the last piece of furniture away I make sure he has plenty of free space.

He is still on edge and yeah I shouldn't have played with him after Hunter left but it was the perfect opportunity to get back on him after all the stuff he said to me. And I also didn't expect it would affect him as much as it did. Was he actually jealous or am I overthinking?

"Okay, I think I'm ready." He looks at me from the chair and I stop my overthinking. I have to focus.

He has been sitting there in silence for a while making his mind up while I got the room ready.

"Are you sure you want to do this? We don't have to. You are still on schedule." I make sure one last time.

"I'm sure." He nods confidently.

"Okay then, first I have to check your right leg." I get closer to him and kneel in front of his legs. "Can I?" He nods and I remove the bandages.

His leg looks really good, Danielle did such an amazing job. And even though the scars will be there they won't be that noticeable.

"It's curing nicely." I make sure to check every little spot. "How is the pain?"

"Not bad, left leg is definitely worst." He tries to sound calm but I can tell he is scared by his unusually messy breathing.

If he is able to do it, today will be the first time he stands up after the accident. And this is one of the hardest parts after amputation. He needs to be ready and understand how different is going to feel.

"Okay, as you already know to try and use the crutches you have to stand up. All your weight will be over your right leg, it's going to be weird and difficult at first. Maintaining the equilibrium won't be easy either. You are about to go through one of the hardest parts of recovery, are you sure you are ready?" I explain as detailed and carefully as possible.

"You will help me right?" He looks directly at me, his icy blue eyes showing how vulnerable he feels right now.

"I won't leave your side, I will help you stand up and keep you steady for as long as you need it." I smile trying to reassure him and he seems to relax a little.

"Okay, I'm ready." He nods.

Standing up I wait for him to give the first step. His hands are shaking and for a second I think he is going to give up but then he sits forward on the chair and places his right leg on the floor. A painful wince scapes his lips but he doesn't retreat. Using his hands he slowly stands, his right leg starts to shake too but he keeps going.