Chapter 1

Chapter 1, You Were The First, You'll Be The Last

(In the year 1977)

Regulus hadn't wanted to have the stupid new years eve party, but his Mum insisted that he come out of himself and be social for once. He was plenty social. It was just that there were only a few people who inspired and uplifted him to a mood of sociability. There were four or so school friends who were intelligent and interesting enough, and of course there was Kreacher. The elf was his best friend and the only person he was always in the mood for. Kreacher had a sharp mind and understood things most others did not. Regulus enjoyed the way Kreacher expressed his thoughts. It was stimulating and often amusing. As the elf was only a decade older than Regulus, the two had practically grown up together and had always been close. Each was ever ready to lend a willing ear and words of support when the other required it. It was important to have that single person to whom one could trust with all their secrets. Kreacher and Regulus were that for one another. The fact that Kreacher was a servant was often a thorn in Regulus's side, though, because stupid chores removed him all too frequently from Regulus's company.

He insisted that Kreacher be allowed to remain at this new years party on which his mother had insisted, and with a shrug, she'd agreed. Of course she insisted that he only invite his pure blood classmates, but he'd stupidly allowed a plus one option. Barnabas Carrow had brought a Muggle born girl to the party and during truth or dare, a game Barnabas insisted on everyone playing, the girl dared Regulus to kiss her. This was unacceptable. Regulus wasn't at all the sort to kiss the date of a friend. It wasn't sporting. For another, he certainly wasn't about to snog a Muggle born. Ug. The very idea made him shudder. So he'd kissed her on the cheek, because she hadn't said where he should kiss her. Then he'd excused himself briefly so that he might go and wash his lips. After that he'd returned to the party where he was greeted by a look of sympathy from Kreacher who always understood. As people dared one another and asked for uncomfortable truths to be told, the Muggle born girl, Janet Henderson, continuously shot him dirty looks that Regulus did his best to ignore.

When it was her turn again, she smiled happily. "Regulus...Truth or dare."

Not stupid enough to go for another dare, in case she told him where to kiss her, he opted for truth. "Who do you care for most," Janet asked.

That was easy. "Kreacher. He's my best friend. He's the smartest elf I know, the smartest person really."

Kreacher and Regulus exchanged a fond smile. "Master Regulus is too kind," the elf murmured, and Regulus shook his head.

"Only truthful."

Janet smiled and nodded. "Thank you." Leaning over she whispered something into Barnabas Carrow's ear and he choked, then nodded. Eventually it was Barnabas's turn and he pointed at Regulus.

"Come on, Man, say dare."

Regulus shrugged, laughing. Barnabas wouldn't want to be snogged, after all, so a dare should be safe. He took another swig of spiked butter beer before passing the bottle back to Kreacher, as they were sharing. "Very well, Carrow. Dare."

Barnabas grinned. "Okay...Janny wanted this one so you can't hex me, but I dare you to kiss Kreacher!" He guffawed, doubling over and pounding his own knees. Regulus shot Janet a dark withering look and she smirked.

"You said you liked him best," she reminded in a breathy over sweet voice that made Regulus want to hit her with a tongue tie hex. Instead he turned to Kreacher. He aimed for the elf's cheek, but Kreacher had been glaring at Janet, and when he moved his head to look at Regulus the kiss fell on the corner of his mouth. That was when *IT* happened. Regulus felt his blood sing in a way he'd never experienced before. What the hell was that? Kreacher's round blue eyes were wide with shock and his breath was coming faster, but he hadn't pulled away. When Regulus kissed him again, rather than drawing back, the elf leaned into him. It was just to shock Janet, Regulus told himself. To teach her to reconsider what she asked for in the future. If memory served, the girl was a Ravenclaw. Regulus thought it was high time she learned that Slytherins were just as smart if not smarter. If she thought her brain was the best, he was more than pleased to take her down a mental peg or three. Only if he were being honest with himself, his brain wasn't the bit of him that guided this particular situation at present.